Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NB Front Wheel Spacer Query???

basildon993

Hi Guys,

Been away from the forum for a while, but am now back in the swing of things! :lol:

I've decided to go for some wheel spacers on my early NB 993 Carreras 2, totally get the 15mm ones I need for the rear, but what about the front?

I have 7x17 front wheels ET55 and I've read that I could use 7mm spacers but these will require extended studs which seems like a lot of aggro! Surely a 5mm spacer will improve the look without the need for extended studs? But will a 5mm spacers effect the steering, which I assume Porsche designed for a 7" wide ET55 wheel?

Help!

Cheers, Ben :?:

I recently fitted 5mm spacers to my front wheels - same size as yours - following a thread I read on here a few months ago, mainly to improve the look by "pushing" the wheels a little further out into the arches. If I'm completely honest I don't think it has made much difference to the looks and I also can't feel any difference in the way the car steers, positive or negative. So in summary, while they didn't cost much (c £40 IIRC) they perhaps not surprisingly didn't seem to do much either.

I will be interested to see what others have to say on the subject :?:

I've ben using 7mm with the normal studs for years! No problems at all.
They certainly improve the looks at the front.

15mm on the back seems wide - unless you're running ET50 wheels?

He'll be running rear wheels with ET70, negative offset.

The 15mm spacers will bring it to ET55 which fills the arches just perfectly.

These front wheels in the pic below are ET50, which does looks slightly better than than the ET55 on the Cup2s.

Feb2012073.jpg

Yup ET 70 on the rear. :)

Yes I meant ET70's. I couldn't remember what the size was.

I bought 7MM spacers, worried that Porsche state you need longer studs on anything more than 3MM. So took them off and went out and bought 5MM and installed them instead...... Go figure :)

You most def can tell the difference with spacers on IMO, and I'm amazed 5MM make such a difference. Saying that there is no difference in handling feel.

To be honest I think they look better than the 7MM ones, which is good, cause I can sleep better at night now knowing my wheels wont fall off as I've had them on for around 4K miles now.

My advice (I have an early 993 C2 NB on Cup2 17), go for the 5MM.

wozy said:
To be honest I think they look better than the 7MM ones

You must have some sort of Miracle Vision if you can tell the difference between 5mm and 7mm spacers.

7mm shims straight on, if you're that worried use steel nuts rather than the alloy ones

15mm adapters at the rear

wozy said:
I bought 7MM spacers, worried that Porsche state you need longer studs on anything more than 3MM. So took them off and went out and bought 5MM and installed them instead...... Go figure :)

You most def can tell the difference with spacers on IMO, and I'm amazed 5MM make such a difference. Saying that there is no difference in handling feel.

To be honest I think they look better than the 7MM ones, which is good, cause I can sleep better at night now knowing my wheels wont fall off as I've had them on for around 4K miles now.

Just got around to fitting my 5mm spacers, also on 17" Cup2's. Look good apart from I'm now concerned about short stud length. Decided to invest in some open ended steel nuts from design 911 for piece of mind. As you can see the nuts are not fully home (about 2 threads short).

Will this be ok or do the studs need changing for longer ones? My engineering brain says change the studs but don't really want the extra hassle :?:

advice appreciated!

Graeme

Attachments

• photo1_164.jpg
    photo1_164.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 16,310
  • photo2_179.jpg
    photo2_179.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 16,310
  • photo3_366.jpg
    photo3_366.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 16,310
  • photo5_141.jpg
    photo5_141.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 16,310
  • photo6_129.jpg
    photo6_129.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 16,310
  • photo7_113.jpg
    photo7_113.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 16,310
graemeho said:
wozy said:

Just got around to fitting my 5mm spacers, also on 17" Cup2's. Look good apart from I'm now concerned about short stud length. Decided to invest in some open ended steel nuts from design 911 for piece of mind. As you can see the nuts are not fully home (about 2 threads short).

Will this be ok or do the studs need changing for longer ones? My engineering brain says change the studs but don't really want the extra hassle :?:

advice appreciated!

Graeme

4K miles and 2.5K of those going like a nutter through the twisties in the Pyrenees tells me your worrying to much. :)

7MM worried me, 5MM does not .

Kimbo said:
wozy said:
To be honest I think they look better than the 7MM ones

You must have some sort of Miracle Vision if you can tell the difference between 5mm and 7mm spacers.

I know it sounds silly. But you can.

wozy said:
graemeho said:
wozy said:

advice appreciated!

Graeme

4K miles and 2.5K of those going like a nutter through the twisties in the Pyrenees tells me your worrying to much. :)

7MM worried me, 5MM does not .

Not convinced Wozy

The difference in length between the 3mm and 5mm spacers will account for the amount which the thread is short by. This is probably why Porsche state over 3mm fit new studs.... :eek:

It's just the open ended nuts that scream 'I'm too short'. Sticking with standard nuts means that you can't see they are short. Think the spacers need to come off until longer studs are sourced and fitted.

Anyone changed them? looks like a careful bit of encouragement with a hammer to knock them out is all that's needed :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back