Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 newbie

Welcome. Lots of good balanced advice on here for you to ponder.

1) I would echo what has already been said but would add the importance of trying a few. The air cooled cars are great but the shift in dynamic capability between the 993 generation and the 996 is massive. But that's IMHO. You need to get a few miles in a few and see what appeals to you.

2) If you like the turbo could you live with the 996 C4S? :?: The IMS can be changed when you change the clutch. The bores can be inspected before you buy and its currently just within your budget. And with PSE it sounds like Odin giving Thor hell for staying out late....

3) Must it be a 911? :?: Your budget would get you a nice Cayman or Boxster which are amazing cars. And they would be well below your budget so plenty in reserve for problems.

4) Risk. It's good that you are clear that living with engine failure is something you don't want. But don't discount the greater risks that will be the more likely drains on your costs such as tyres, radiators, air con refurb, brakes, tyres etc etc. There is no financially risk free 911 - go in with that view and you're okay!

Okay that's the 'rationalis' bit out of the way. Ignore all the rest of my advice if you wish, but please take note of point one - get out in a few. There really is nothing else like them out there. :grin:

You may love the 993, the 964, or an SC, or a 3.2, or a 997, or a 996 (C4S) or or...a Cayman....or a Boxster.....who knows. And that's the wonderful world you're about to explore. I envy you and I envy that...freedom. Yup freedom. Because until I fired up the engine, engaged the clutch, put it in gear and pulled out onto the A1 in a 964 in late 2009 I had options on what else I would have been happy to drive. No more! :thumb:

kevinbuckley70 said:
Keep an eye on the Hartech site. They don't rebuild/sell many but I have no regrets from buying from them.

+1 for this.
They are in the process of preparing a 997 ATM with a full engine rebuild - speak to Grant for the full details....
I have a Hartech sorted 996.2 which I bought from them last year and I am more than happy with it and the service the lads at Hartech supply-real professional and enthusiastic about Porsches.
An added bonus is that (I'm pretty sure) it will automatically be eligible for their maintenance plan which (IMO) is excellent value for money and will give you a level of confidence in the car which you may not get if purchased elsewhere.

Good luck with the search!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back