Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Design BlackBerry P'9983 Smartphone

Porsche News

Porsche Design made its first smartphone in 2007, before partnering with BlackBerry (then RIM) in 2011 on the P'9981. Jump to the present day and we have the Porsche Design P'9983, which is based on the BlackBerry Q10.

In the words of BlackBerry and Porsche Design, who introduced the new smartphone at Harrods, it's a handset designed for the "power professional".

As a typical smartphone user, you might think that the Porsche Design handsets are without purpose. This is, in its crudest form, a BlackBerry Q10 in a new coat. The Q10 costs £497; the Porsche Design P'9983 costs £1400, launching exclusively with Harrods.

BlackBerry's focus on the "power professional" is all about productivity, ensuring that those professionals "achieve what they need to achieve." At the same time, Porsche Design wants to give them exclusivity and luxury, even if it is something of a niche market.

This isn't just craziness: the Porsche Design P'9981 has sold 170,000 units and for Harrods it was one of their most successful technology products. The P'9983 wants to repeat this trick, even if it's a far cry from the 10 million iPhone 6 handsets sold in the first weekend.

phpyxjpag.jpg

Porsche Design

Although the P'9983 is based on the Q10, you wouldn't really know it. It's had a makeover, although the form factor remains the same. There's the same 3.1-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen with a 720 x 720 pixel resolution, with a keyboard beneath it.

The layout of controls and connections is familiar and it's undeniably a BlackBerry. In the hand it brings back memories of the BlackBerry greats of the past - the Bold - where it's all about the keyboard experience.

Porsche Design has used a stainless steel frame, however, nicely chamfered at the front. That sits nicely with the curve of the polished glass fiber weave rear, so the P'9983 sits nicely in the hand.

It's not going to win any prizes for slimness or weight: it measures 67.1 x 119 x 10.55mm and weighing 140g.

But it feels like good quality and that's important: this is a luxury smartphone and it feels like it. We prefer Porsche Design's focus on simplicity and quality materials over some of the other luxury devices we've seen recently: it's more a practical design than the likes of the Tonino Lamborghini Antares for example.

The top bar sporting Porsche Design branding is a nice touch, but the BlackBerry name looks a little squashed beneath the keyboard. It feels like an after-thought, an addition that jars with the rest of the design.

A "glass effect" keyboard

The keyboard on the P'9983 is lovely. Porsche Design are calling it a "glass effect", because it looks like glass, and has a smooth polished finish - although it's not actually glass, it's plastic.

phpi0zjnu.jpg

There's the normal tapering in the edges - something BlackBerrys have had in various forms over the years - here a little more angular to reflection Porsche's tighter design.

The keyboard feels extremely solid, however. There's no slop to it, no lateral movement in the keys, just a great positive action. This is pared with the predictive suggestions of BB 10.3, so you can type and touch.

The action of this keyboard is very much what we expect from a BlackBerry, so kudos to Porsche Design for keeping that important experience authentic.

The P'9983 back door

Around the back of the P'9983 Porsche Design has opted to polish the glass weave cover to a high shine. We loved the rear of the Q10, with it's matte, grippy, glass weave rear. In fact we'd go as far as to say we prefer it to the finish of the P'9983.

The glossy back is a fingerprint magnet, but you do at least get a polishing cloth in the box. To keep the P'9983 looking its best, you're going to need to give it a regular rub down.

There is some relief, however, as there will be accessory rear covers too. Porsche Design is calling them "back doors" and befitting the price of the phone, these will cost £70 a pop.

These are finished in coloured leather and feel lovely, making things a lot more grippy, as well as letting you match it to your mood, the interior of your Ferrari, or just your Hermés handbag.

php3lg9ur.jpg

php5ga7px.jpg

The hardware

We've mentioned the display already, which offers very much the same experience as the BlackBerry Q10. Sitting within the P'9983 is a 1.5GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 dual-core chipset, with 2GB of RAM.

The internal storage gets bump, with a healthy 64GB, as well as support for microSD cards up to 128GB.

There's a 2100mAh battery - that comes with Porsche Design branding - but it's swappable, so you can change it for a new one when you run out of juice.

BlackBerry 10.3

The Porsche Design P'9983 launches with BB 10.3, the latest software from BlackBerry, bringing with it a range of tweaks over previous iterations. There are some UI tweaks, with a new central button on the action bar to highlight the most common function, as well as a flatter design, a touch more modern.

There's now a homescreen - sort of - so if you close all your apps, you'll get the wallpaper behind. Previously when all the apps were closed, the apps menu would move across to fill the space.

There's also the new BlackBerry Assistant, that will let you give voice commands with natural language processing, as well as let you type, as you always could with universal search.

phpypttpi.jpg

You also get some tweaks to the camera app - the 8-megapixel rear and 2-megapixel front camera are the same as before - but it will now throw up suggestions of different shooting modes when you come to take a shot, like HDR, for example.

There's a whole load of other features in BB 10.3, which we'll be pulling out and detailing as we spend more time with BlackBerry's latest OS.

Where do I sign up?

The Porsche Design P'9983 is available from Thursday 25 September, launching exclusively in Europe in Harrods. It can be yours for £1400, if you're a power professional.

Source, pocket-lint

Attachments

• p9983_611.jpg
    p9983_611.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 10,811
Oh dear. £1400 for a Blackberry. I don't think anyone would have paid that even when people used Blackberries!

Didn't even know Blackberry were still going!!! :D

A chum of mine had one of these. They look and feel a quality item but in terms of flexibility shiote when you look cross market. He then went back to his iPhone (and his Vertu :roll: )

As a BES user BlackBerry is good for business use provided your company has good IT support and I'm currently running two through different organisations, one is very good for email and the other is shocking in terms of their restriction policies. In both cases though, internet and Social Media use - forget it :pc:

Get a Cubot Android phone from Amazon for £60 :grin:

I run IT where I work and when I first started working there they had BlackBerry phones. Hideous, over complicated and rubbish in general. I did a crafty deal with our service provider and got all iPhone 5 to replace them. Never looked back since!

i am sorry, but you have to be joshing me

who uses a BB any more? The Police and some other forces, but from a functional and productivity perspective they are not much more than a useful door stop!!! and at the price, please pick me up from the floor

i also run an IT dept and we have gone iPhones globally and use an Apple server to control them with policies etc. we do have 2 android phones too!!!

NO BBs what so ever

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know, I sold £500k worth if these in 3 days and is the biggest seller in Harrods.
There is a strong market for the PD phones.

Regards

Vinny

FRP said:
i am sorry, but you have to be joshing me

who uses a BB any more? The Police and some other forces, but from a functional and productivity perspective they are not much more than a useful door stop!!! and at the price, please pick me up from the floor

i also run an IT dept and we have gone iPhones globally and use an Apple server to control them with policies etc. we do have 2 android phones too!!!

NO BBs what so ever
10x faster to type with a BB vs iPhone.

MUCH prefer BB as a business phone. Have an iPhone for music / apps / personal use.

Menace said:
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know, I sold £500k worth if these in 3 days and is the biggest seller in Harrods.
There is a strong market for the PD phones.

Regards

Vinny

Sure - in a country of 64 million souls which has more mobile phones than people it is not a huge surprise that there is a market exceeding 350 units for these. But as an expensive Porsche branded Blackberry phone it very much is a niche within a niche within a niche isn't it. No dispute that the price and supply keeps the market for them strong, however - what it isn't is significant :thumb:

At a guess I would speculate that the entirety of the market comprises people who have never owned a smartphone that wasn't a Blackberry and who at some point have bought a 911 Turbo S from new :?:

Hi Colin,

Since launch on 25th Sept till today, we have hit the 2 million mark in the UK, globally a success too, as our other stores have sold a large amount. Our customers base for the phone is ironically not Porsche owners, large percentage are Middle Eastern, BB is very big in Nigeria and Singapore, and well known personalities. Not all of our sales are to very wealthy people though. Our UK customers are very diverse.
The PD phones have become iconic, i have both the BB and an IPhone. It comes down to preference but the PD BB is our strongest selling item. I think of it as jewellery.

Regards

Vinny

How are the PD handbags selling :dont know: Daughter has her eye on one but ideally I'd need an 80% discount :what:

Hi Zingari,

Going well, many new models. Pm me if you need a bag or even if Santa needs a bag.

Regards

Vinny

There was some fool selling OPC plastic carrier bags for a starting price of 0.99p on Ebay - is this any help?......

Am one of the last!

Been Blackberry for the last 6 years and 'just', left them.

My understanding is they are more or less gone now, a 93% withdrawl from the non business market inspired me to not sign up for another 18 month contract. I liked them a lot and like real buttons, but they are dying I think.

Got a touch screen now and feel like some 'sex in the city/tart/cocktail bar' girl, but it's ok and touch screen keypads have really moved on, my fat thumbs can work it.

But tapping a screen without long fingernails looks and feels a bit 'chimpy' IMHO.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back