Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 mk2 Guards Red

NLW73

so before the GT3 I had a silver grey m3 CSL. great car, second one but I always had the GT3 itch to scratch and glad I done it.

bought the car back in June this year and spec:

996 MK2 GT3 in Guards Red
03 Plate 69k miles
RS front bumper with vents
RS carbon rear spoiler with the ram air ducts
RS 29 pads all round
sports exhaust
Porsche bucket seats with Shroth harnesses
Porsche half cage in rear
Porsche and Porsche indy history
all shocks rebuilt by Bilstein in 2013 with new H&R springs

previous owner had removed the silencers which was not very sociable and it lacked low down torque/pick up.

Steve at Viper Exhausts in Essex is a real genius with exhaust metals and bends. used to work in an F1 team making their exhausts. top grade 304 stainless steel rear boxes and 2mm steel thick piping at right bore.

WP_20140617_003_zps76395ff5.jpg

WP_20140617_005_zpsecdcbd9d.jpg

WP_20140617_015_zpsa1ab2139.jpg

WP_20140617_010_zps6f76308a.jpg

WP_20140617_014_zps719799f5.jpg

WP_20140617_008_zps3c646c5a.jpg

WP_20140617_019_zpsc8d03f5d.jpg

WP_20140617_021_zps150c0549.jpg

WP_20140617_007_zpsf7b9fc40.jpg

end result is LOADS quieter and it drives so much better now. actually has some back pressure at low revs and torque. still a sport sound but very liveable.

much better pick up and has that GT3 sound back. still sounds nice. very happy and very good pricing. about one third what it would have cost to do OEM stuff!! Porsche want £950 plus VAT for the OEM rear silence and you need two. oh yes plus the brackets that hold the boxes....they are £250 each plus VAT sir. Perfect.

That's very very nice.

wheels needed a refurb so off to lepsons which is about 15 mins drive from home. old wheels had some odd gold flakey finish which was nice but any sort of issues then how do you match the paint.
back to gloss black!

july 2014:

was never a fan of the leather wheel and the totally black interior so recently done some changes in October 2014.

old wheel:

sent off to Jack at Royal steering wheels in Aylesbury who re done the steering wheel and gear lever in 9002 dark grey alcantara with matching red stitching. put a red band at 12 oclock too. man is a genius and done a great job for the money!!

and finally to today....

centre console and seat eyelets for the harnesses done in guards red. really pleased with the outcome and really brings out the changed wheels and gear lever with the red stitching.

have also changed the tyre to some semi slicks which have helped a lot.

the other piece was changing the ARB settings around. was on full hard setting so very harsh on the road. went down 2 on the front and 1 on the rear. feels easier on the road and less crashy. handy if u get caught in the wet too.

car had new plugs and coil packs as a few of them had cracked so was running lumpy. that was October 2014.

have been busy getting bits over winter....

BMC panel air filter:

RS style rear air ram duct to help get more air in:

some black mesh for front bumper to protect rads n air con.

GT3 kick plates/side sill protector from OPC as mine were missing!

Michelin Pilot sport cups all round (awesome prices on tyreleader)

997 GT3 front and rear brake ducts - blow me down it was like just over £20 for all 4.

997 GT3 Front Ducts - £2.18 each plus vat

997 Rears - £6.30 each plus vat

fronts will look like this:

rears:

front and rear bumper as well as bonnet getting some paint.

will report back when done.

finally got round to fitting. thank god for bank holidays and good weather ;-)

took about 1 hour to do all four what with getting car on the wooden board to raise it, jack it up, do again but worth it. bearing in mind I am distinctly average with spanners in fact bordering on utter shite...

Front near side:

no duct:

duct added:

(underneath looking up at back of disc)

Rear near side:

Rear Off side/PX

no duct:

for the rear ducts I needed to trim one of the top plastic curves that stick out the most as was catching the wheel. circled in yellow. easy to do as softish plastic and done with a new Stanley knife:

View of front ducts from under the car:

from rear of car - just see the front ducts as lowest point of car, hanging down:

rear caliper duct from rear of car:

hope that helps and will see how I get on with them.

DC

BMC panel filter fitted. seems to breathe a little better.

popped up to Design 911 to get the carbon rear air ram duct. now that is a ruddy DANGEROUS place to visit and your wallet winces as you walk in ;-) nearly walked out with a set of equal length headers and 200 cell cats. paint first, paint first!!!

what it would look like on the car:

I would love to keep it carbon but its a different effect to the Manthey RS spoiler I have so best option is to paint Guard Red so it blends in.

need to get it bolted and fixed in next.

Nice motor. You don't often see them in red, makes a nice change from the white ones.

Looks very nice , shame you will need to paint the rear air dam

dropped her off Friday for paint. always a little nerve wracking to leave it somewhere for 2 weeks but will be worth it.

mirrors are going to be red again so better for the rear air ram to be red too. I did think about doing the RS rear spoiler in red but that would be sacrilege. RS style decals are coming off too.

hoping it will sth like this:

rear:

front view:

apols to the owners cars that I have clearly robbed the pics of ;-)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back