Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 997 Carrera S progress..

Need to sort some pics out Mark, i will get it sorted, how do we post them ? as the PCGB forum is a nightmare to post pics on.
Stick your liner screws in a bit of cardboard after rubbing them down and give them a coat of satin black, that said new ones will be coppers !
Tight Norfern Git :lol:

Thanks John!

Sort it out Jim ;)

Spent a fair few hours this weekend making a start on sorting out the broken exhaust joint.. Took a bit longer than planned but that was down to just working out what comes off where and how..

The start
49063679348_7f49864260_z.jpg

49063679383_44f03ccbe7_z.jpg

49064406622_2c9fbd97ea_z.jpg

The failure! Can't believe the nuts have totally disappeared..
49063679403_d4320525aa_z.jpg

49064406692_d249f1dcbc_z.jpg

Spotted the same on a clamp
49064406702_5d547e408a_z.jpg

49064194696_9c19d48b77_z.jpg

49064406752_68f40211fb_z.jpg

49063679488_3a696b20a5_z.jpg

I spent ages getting the clamps off which hold the cats in place and called it a night..

Today, I spent ages attempting to drill out the stuck bolts... After blunting many drills bits and finally getting one of the "studs" smoking hot, it just fell out!! I then realised that I had been trying to drill studs out so, out came the mallet and with a few good wacks, they just popped out!

49063679508_a712f99185_z.jpg

49063679513_a0a50a74c5_z.jpg

49064406817_8935e809d7_z.jpg

I now have my stainless bolts to replace all this but I am waiting on the rest of the goodies to come, clamps, gaskets etc..

A crude pic of the freshly painted tandem pump to help prolong it's life..

49064194766_5391b9000f_z.jpg

Lastly, some freshly coated cats, only high temp paint to tidy them up as rust is not a good look!!

49064194776_0c8d16ef55_z.jpg

:thumb:

<mod update, thread moved into 997 forum > :thumb:

Ohh I've been moved here.

Not too much has happened this week as I have just been waiting on parts. I used www.deroure.co.uk to order my new Porsche parts as I couldn't make any time to get down to my nearest OPC. They willl arrive on Monday I believe. I also get my backboxes returned to me on Monday courtesy of my friend who is welding in a 1,75" bypass pipe.

Using a Porsche parts catalog, I managed to find out the correct nut/bolt size of all the nuts/bolts that usually rust away, I hope this will stop any future grief of bolts snapping and getting stuck. Also, rather than buy the 2 main clamps which hold the backboxes to the cats from Porsche, I decided to refurb my ones. The main body of the clamps are solid and do not appear to rust, it is simply the nut and bolts that do so it was pointless to replace the clamp. I simply tapped out the remains of the coach bolt, had a friend cerakote the clamps and I refitted the clamps with stainless coach bolts and serrated nuts.

49064194816_f0edd3a8d9_z.jpg

49063679558_7b3d519931_z.jpg

Just incase anyone wants to replace their nuts/bolts, here is a list of what you need.

Exhaust clamp
Coachbolt M8x25
M8 serrated nut

Coilpacks
12 x M6x25 part threaded

Coilpack heatsheilds
2 x M6x10

Backbox fixing to hanger
2 x M8x140 part threaded
2 x M8X70 part threaded
4 X M8 nuts

Backbox bracket to backbox
6 x M8 nuts

Cat - backbox flange
6 x M8x30
6 x M8 nuts
6 x stainless split washers

I'm sure I have missed something..

That's all for now.

Told you the fixings were sugar ! when refitting place the long exhaust hanger bolts in from the bottom rather than the top as further removal is easier as the bolts will not come out as they hit the chassis.
meant to change my oil but mates ramp at the garage was busy, probably next week now, i will also be fitting springs over the next couple of months.
What do you use for removal of tar under the arches ?

Great thread. I need to started replacing these nuts / bolts on mine.

Which supplier have you used for the stainless nuts / bolts?

Good shout on reverse fitting the nut/bolts. I actually tried to undo one of these before I discovered the 3 nuts and did find I ran into a brick wall, reverse fitting would get around that! ;)

I did use Autosmart Tardis to remove the tar, I don't think there is a better product. I have also used Valet Pro Dragons Breath, this removes stuff which Tardis doesn't. (Iron fall out). I really recommend that stuff.

The stainless nuts and bolts were all bought from a local independent DIY store which has saved my life many times. :)

:pc:

Hi Mark,

Just read through your thread and wanted to thank you for taking the time to post it up. Very interesting read, I really enojy these progress threads, always makes me want to go and do something to my own car!

Keep up the updates!

Btw, where did you get the led sidelight bulbs? Any issues with the installation? I'm inclined to change mine as there is such a strong contrast with the Litronics.

Any pics of your Gundo'd silencers Mark?

I'm also in Surrey (Byfleet is my local OPC) and I'm still weighing up whether to go down the Gundo route... Would be great to hear how you've got on :thumb:

Thanks for the response Mark, I'll have a look around at some stage.

Ian, I've also had the Gundo hack done to my own 997.1, went with the 1.5" pipe, had it done at "Styledynamics" in Hayes (£300 at the time, they even have a Buy it now on ebay).

I did it a year ago and have not looked back. Not once have I felt that it was too noisy or intrusive and at motorway speeds you don't really feel any difference (and thats driving at higher Continental speeds), while at lower speeds it sounds fantastic.

The only issue I have is that at very low revs, like when crawling along in traffic, I can hear what seems ever so slightly like a blowing exhaust. Not sure if this is applicable to all Gundos or just my specific case and would welcome feedback from other "Gundoers".

However, in short, do it!! :thumb:

I have the Gundo hack installed by the dealer when I bought the car from as part of the purchase price. I therefore cannot compare it to a 'normal' exhaust as it is all I know. It does sound quite loud and even a bit rough at idle or when crawling with the windows open, (windows up inside the car it's actually quite quiet). The car sounds more like a race car at these speeds rather than a refined GT car and more people tend to look at the car. Everyone who has heard my car comments/compliments the noise and ask what exhaust it is? My Gundo hack uses 1.5" pipe. I quite like the fact that it really sounds like a Porsche when you start it up, (if that makes sense?)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back