Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommendations for Satnav/speed camera alert

tikkathree

Montreal
I've just read through this post:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=95013&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I'm thinking about a satnav speed camera unit for in the 996. Likely to be free-standing unless someone can convince me that in-dash conversion is an easy option. I'm sure the world is awash with tomtom/garmin/various other brands all promising the earth so I'm looking for real world feedback.

I have a trip to France coming up where I know that speed camera detection devices are beyond the sense of humour.

Hitherto I've used apps on my android phone:

RadarDroid - not used it outwith the UK before but it's mostly okay in the UK.
Google Navigation
and I've downloaded the map of France on NavFree

I'd just like to keep the phone free and detach the travelling information centre.

Thanks guys

Hi,
The TomTom Europe does not add French cameras to it's update due to legality, handy for me as it's something the French police could not nick me for as I run the gauntlet to Belgium, but not so much use to you, I think you can add them as a file but TT will probably delete them at sync, the same way Itunes always deletes my bootleg music...

IF...
You want a Pogo then PM me your address and you can have mine for free. The TomTom worked better for me in the countries I was in (warnings, route speedo), and (now I don't own a car) the Pogo will sit in a drawer until the licence expires. It's a good unit and very small (2"x2") but a good colour screen that defaults to being a speedo, average camera rolling speed, and only warns of cameras in your direction, so no daft warnings for everything pointing the other way.

Please read up on it first, see if it does and can do what you want, I'd want to give it to someone that will actually use it as I can leave it in a drawer being unused myself.
:thumb:

Tikkathree,

A forum member whose Pogo is bust but has current paid subscription to the database has asked for 2nd dibs and offered a donation to a cat charity. Suits me perfectly.

Please give a yes/no on my offer.
ta
:)

clarkycat said:
Tikkathree,

A forum member whose Pogo is bust but has current paid subscription to the database has asked for 2nd dibs and offered a donation to a cat charity. Suits me perfectly.

Please give a yes/no on my offer.
ta
:)

Oh please, let him have it but thanks for the first offer and the added courtesy of this post.

"offered a donation to a cat charity. Suits me perfectly."

I could take that one of two ways.... :?: :thumb:

You are a gent Tikka, it's off to a good home then.

If what Z says about Tom Tom camera info in France now is right then I would go with that. Me and Vic can't cover 100 yards in the UK without bickering...

But with the route, Hotels and towns on the Tom Tom, updated Euro maps, a KPH speedo, the current limit displayed, live updates of delays (get the Live model), where they were, how long they lasted, and alternative routes, tolls, services etc...

It was easier than driving in the UK, as neither of us had anything else to go on.

8)

I have the M8 app on my I phone and its just got me to adenau and back via spa francorchamps without any problems and bleeped in speed camera sites.. :thumb:

tikkathree said:
Tinker said:
Does France and it's so small* that you can pocket it in a trice if the French fuzz stop you.

(*The clip, which is very small, is unnecessary. I leave my K2 plugged into the cigarette lighter, where it receives GPS perfectly.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inforad-K2-Camera-Warning-System/dp/B003JBJFPS

p.s. Even if you don't like it, it's a cheap back-up.

Yes, thanks, let's start there....
Did you go for it? Note there is a K3 out too, not sure of differences though...

ch3tman said:
tikkathree said:
Tinker said:
Does France and it's so small* that you can pocket it in a trice if the French fuzz stop you.

(*The clip, which is very small, is unnecessary. I leave my K2 plugged into the cigarette lighter, where it receives GPS perfectly.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inforad-K2-Camera-Warning-System/dp/B003JBJFPS

p.s. Even if you don't like it, it's a cheap back-up.

Yes, thanks, let's start there....
Did you go for it? Note there is a K3 out too, not sure of differences though...

Yes I did and, with the roof up, it's "throw me out of the window" loud. I had it loose on top of the dash to begin with, tucked in the corner of the screen until an urban roundabout put it on the floor which dealt with the loudness issue :pc: short term.

Now the sound is turned down and the clip is mounted atop the steering column shroud where the flashing/steady led display is in line of sight. I'd say £30 well spent, thanks guys.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back