Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2014 Race 16 & 17 Silverstone

Porsche News

Titles up for grabs in Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone

Josh Webster takes 14-point lead to Silverstone
Justin Sherwood and Steven Liquorish head Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2
Redline Racing poised to clinch teams' title

A mighty overall title race between Josh Webster and Michael Meadows and battles for the Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 categories are the key features of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB heading for Silverstone (27/28 September) and rounds 16 and 17 of the 19-race season.

The latest Type-991 911 GT3 Cup is having a superb debut season in the Carrera Cup GB and it is Carrera Cup Scholarship driver Webster (Redline Racing) who heads the overall points with four races to run. Webster and team mate Victor Jimenez could settle the first title of the season by securing the teams' title for Redline Racing.

Webster's advantage over reigning double champion Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) shot back out to 14 points when Meadows retired from the most recent round at Rockingham. Meadows must take pole position, race win and fastest lap in all four remaining races to be certain of the title. It's possible, of course, but the pressure is on.

Whatever the outcome, it has been a superb season for Webster after making the switch from single-seaters and he has already shown himself as a rising star of sports and GT racing. If he can beat Meadows at least once this weekend, he will make himself favourite for the title.

However, this is not just a two-way contest and victory at Rockingham for Paul Rees (In2 Racing) was richly deserved. He will now want to win again on his home track as he battles with Jimenez (Redline Racing) for third in the standings. Joining Rees and Jimenez in the pursuit of Webster and Meadows will be Pepe Massot (Parr Motorsport), who continues to make fine progress after joining the championship mid-season.

Joining the grid at Silverstone and sure to make a strong impression are two very promising young drivers. 2013 Renault Clio champion Josh Files (23) races the championship guest car with Team Parker Racing, while single-seater racer James Fletcher (20) makes his Carrera Cup debut with Welch Motorsport.

Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) is setting the mark in Pro-Am1 and should take another step towards the title this weekend as Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) heads the chase.

However, in Pro-Am2 it really is too close to call. Drivers count their best seven weekends and on current scores Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) heads Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) by a single point. However, Liquorish has a further five-point advantage on dropped scores, so their superb battle is set to run to the final chequered flag of the season. Added back to the mix at Silverstone will be Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) for his first Carrera Cup races since Thruxton in May.

Attachments

• silv14_02_166.jpg
    silv14_02_166.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 17,819
  • silv14_01_190.jpg
    silv14_01_190.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 17,819
Porsche Carrera Cup GB – the title permutations

Josh Webster and Michael Meadows fight for the overall title
Redline Racing poised to clinch teams' title
Justin Sherwood closing in on Pro-Am1 title

The contest for the four titles within the Porsche Carrera Cup GB will all move a step closer to be being resolved during rounds 16 and 17 at Silverstone (27/28 September), and these are the various points' permutations.

Overall drivers' championship

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) and Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) are the key contenders, with Webster holding a 14-point lead going to Silverstone. All scores count and there is a maximum possible weekend score of 44 points for two poles, two wins and two fastest laps. Meadows cannot clinch the title at Silverstone and Webster would need to outscore Meadows by 31 points to be champion at the end of the weekend, which is extremely unlikely. Therefore, the title is most likely to be decided during the final two races at Brands Hatch (12/13 October).

Meanwhile, the battle for third place is even closer as Paul Rees (In2 Racing) and Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) are separated by only 12 points. Rees still has a mathematical chance of winning the overall title, but only if Webster and Meadows fail to score any more points.

Teams' championship
Redline Racing (represented by Webster and Jimenez) should settle the title at Silverstone. Even if In2 Racing (represented by Rees and tba) takes a perfect score, Redline need only 20 points from Silverstone to be team champions for the sixth time in 12 years.

Pro-Am1 championship
Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) has a 57-point lead over Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) heading to Silverstone, with Rob Smith and Karl Leonard not expected to race at Silverstone. If Sherwood is at least 45 points ahead of Witt after the second Silverstone race (or 67 points ahead after the first Silverstone race), then he will be Pro-Am1 champion. Drivers in Pro-Am1 count all their scores.

Pro-Am2 championship
The situation in Pro-Am2 is very close between Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) and Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport). No other driver is in contention for the Pro-Am2 title. Drivers in Pro-Am2 count only their best seven weekend scores and a perfect weekend score in Pro-Am2 is 24 points. From the best seven scores so far, Liquorish has a one-point lead. If Liquorish scores well at Silverstone and Brands, he will drop a 12 and a 16 weekend score. If Kyle-Henney scores well at Silverstone and Brands, he will drop a 17 and a 17 weekend score, so Liquorish has a slight advantage. To be champion at Silverstone, Liquorish needs to take two wins and either two poles, two fastest laps or one pole and one fastest lap.

Attachments

• silv14_05_924.jpg
    silv14_05_924.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 17,815
  • silv14_04_139.jpg
    silv14_04_139.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 17,815
  • silv14_03_204.jpg
    silv14_03_204.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 17,815
Meadows tops Carrera Cup GB testing at Silverstone

Michael Meadows heads the time sheets at Silverstone
Josh Webster and Victor Jimenez run very close behind
Jordan Witt and Steven Liquorish top Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows set the pace in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB during testing at Silverstone today (Friday 26 September) ahead of rounds 16 and 17 of the 19-race season.

Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) opened his bid to claw back the points' gap to championship leader Josh Webster (Redline Racing) by going fastest as drivers ran two test sessions in warm and sunny conditions at the Northamptonshire track.

The level of competition as the title races head towards conclusion was amply demonstrated as 17-hundredths of a second covered the leading three, while the top eight drivers lapped within a second and just 1.8s covered the whole grid. Championship newcomers Josh Files (Team Parker Racing), James Fletcher (Welch Motorsport) and Mike Donovan (In2 Racing) all acquitted themselves extremely well, with Files posting fifth best time overall.

With a scant 0.123s splitting Meadows and Webster, it is very tight at the top of the championship and Meadows knows that the two points available for two pole positions in qualifying on Saturday are vital to his title challenge. Leading the chase of the top three was Rockingham winner Paul Rees (In2 Racing), a third of a second behind Meadows best lap.

Meanwhile, Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) topped Pro-Am1 and Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) ran strongly at his home track to head the Pro-Am2 times.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) fastest overall:
"It was good. I did exactly what I needed to do today. I am back on track to catch up all those points I lost at Rockingham."

Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
"Testing here on Wednesday really helped. The car seems to be everything I need it to be at the minute. I can't complain about the car so I've just got to keep pushing now for the rest of the weekend."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
"I'm enjoying Silverstone and feeling confident. I don't want to put the kiss of death on it but hopefully I can go out and just worry about what I am doing."

Attachments

• silv14_08_162.jpg
    silv14_08_162.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 17,811
  • silv14_07_140.jpg
    silv14_07_140.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 17,811
  • silv14_06_153.jpg
    silv14_06_153.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17,811
Meadows takes Carrera Cup GB double pole at Silverstone

Michael Meadows takes two poles at Silverstone
Josh Webster and Paul Rees lead the chase
Jordan Witt and Steven Liquorish head Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows set a fantastic pace in Porsche Carrera Cup GB qualifying at Silverstone today (Saturday 27 September) ahead of rounds 16 and 17 of the season. On his second qualifying run, Meadows set jumped to the head of the time sheets for both grids to claim two important championship points.

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) and Paul Rees (In2 Racing) headed the pursuit of Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) in a superbly competitive grid, as less than half a second covered the first seven cars on the grid. With the grid for round 17 mirroring the line-up for the opening race of the weekend, Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing), Josh Files (Team Parker Racing) and Pepe Massot (Parr Motorsport) completing the top six.

Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) topped Pro-Am1 for both races with a strong session with category points' leader Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) next up, while Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) led Pro-Am2 from title rival Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and newcomer Mike Donovan (In2 Racing).

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) fastest overall:
'On the first run I was going for it and caught the tail of the pack. On the second set of tyres I got clear space and it was okay. It bodes well for the race."

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) second fastest overall:
'It's a very tight grid and the lap times are so close. On the second set of tyres I hooked up the best sector one late in the session but then made a mistake into Brooklands and had to abandon the lap."

Paul Rees (In2 Racing) third fastest overall:
'I was bedding things in to begin with, then I went for times. You can't be unhappy with that when it is so close."

'The car was good: Redline Racing always produce the car. There seemed to be a lack of grip generally today, but I'm where I want to be at this stage of the season."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) fastest in Pro-Am2:
'I got a puncture on my first set of tyres so didn't hook up any laps. On my second set I was three-tenths up on what would have been my best lap when I went too deep at Brooklands. But I'm generally very pleased."

Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) second in Pro-Am2:
'It was fine: there's nothing between us in Pro-Am2. I lost a bit of rhythm on the second set of tyres, but it's all okay."

Attachments

• silv14_11_788.jpg
    silv14_11_788.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 17,807
  • silv14_10_152.jpg
    silv14_10_152.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 17,807
  • silv14_09_933.jpg
    silv14_09_933.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 17,807
Meadows takes Carrera Cup GB victory at Silverstone

Michael Meadows wins from the front at Silverstone
Josh Webster and Victor Jimenez complete the overall podium
Jordan Witt and Kelvin Fletcher win Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows took an important victory in round 16 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone today (Saturday 27 September) to reduce the points' gap to championship leader Josh Webster to 10 points with three races to run.

Webster (Redline Racing) led the chase of Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) as a quartet of cars set a rapid pace at the head of the field. Meadows converted pole position into an early lead and, though Webster chased hard, the defending champion controlled the race from the front to clinch victory. Meadows also pushed early on to set the fastest lap and ensure a maximum points' score.

Running with Meadows and Webster were Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) and Paul Rees (In2 Racing) and Jimenez raced very strongly as he chased his team mate to the flag. Meanwhile, Rees fell away a little in fourth, but was still clear of guest racer Josh Files (Team Parker Racing), who turned in an impressive drive to fifth overall.

Pro-Am1 pacesetter Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) started the race with a five-place grid penalty following the previous race at Rockingham but quickly charged up the order to take the lead of Pro-Am1 from Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing).

An early moment between Pro-Am2 contenders Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) delayed Kyle-Henney and put Liquorish out of the race with damaged suspension. Instead, Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) came through to take Pro-Am2 victory from the recovering Kyle-Henney.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) first overall:
'That was really comfortable and our pace was similar. I knew I needed fastest lap and I put in three or four quick laps to make sure. The result is just what I needed."

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) second overall:
'I gave it my best shot. I got close to Michael mid-race when the car was really good, but then the car changed completely. We'll change the set-up for tomorrow and I know what we need to do."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) third overall:
'My start was very good and I pushed to go after Josh. It was good to finish so close to Josh and Michael."

'The car was superb straightaway. Kelvin Fletcher kept me honest for a few laps and once I got past Justin Sherwood into the lead of Pro-Am1 I backed it off."

Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'Silverstone was good to me last year and I wanted to go out with a win because this is my last Carrera Cup weekend of this season. I missed testing on Friday and had to come cold into qualifying today."

Attachments

• silv14_12_747.jpg
    silv14_12_747.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 17,802
  • silv14_13_140.jpg
    silv14_13_140.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 17,802
  • silv14_14_419.jpg
    silv14_14_419.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 17,802
  • silv14_15_419.jpg
    silv14_15_419.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 17,802
Redline Racing takes Carrera Cup GB team title

Redline Racing scooped the first title of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB season by securing the teams' championship title at Silverstone yesterday (Saturday 27 September).

Represented by Josh Webster and Victor Jimenez, the Cleveland-based squad won the prestigious title for the sixth time in the 12-year history of the championship with three races still to run. In2 Racing (represented by Paul Rees and Mike Donovan) will now concentrate on retaining second place in the face of a challenge from Samsung UHD TV Racing (Michael Meadows).

When Webster and Jimenez finished second and third behind Meadows in the first of two races at Silverstone, they ensured that the team headed by Simon Leonard retained its position as the most successful team in the history of the Carrera Cup GB.

Although entered under the team name of Samsung UHD TV Racing, the third placed squad is also operated by Redline Racing and so the north-eastern outfit could take first and third in the teams' championship as well as first and second overall in the drivers' championship.

When added to the race wins taken by Samsung-branded teams, Redline Racing has now scored a record 97 Carrera Cup GB race wins and may reach the magic 100-mark over the three remaining races of the 2014 season.

'I'm delighted that we have secured the team title once again," said team boss Simon Leonard. 'This is a reward for every member of our team: they each play a vital role in this success. Now we want to take first and second in the drivers' championship."

Attachments

• silv14_18_197.jpg
    silv14_18_197.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 17,799
  • silv14_17_168.jpg
    silv14_17_168.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 17,799
Meadows takes Carrera Cup GB double at Silverstone

Michael Meadows secures double win at Silverstone
Paul Rees and Josh Webster complete the overall podium
Jordan Witt and Kelvin Fletcher win Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows completed a perfect weekend during round 17 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone today (Sunday 28 September) with a second win as Paul Rees chased him to the flag. Importantly, with championship leader Josh Webster finishing third, Meadows is now just four points behind with two races left to run.

In Pro-Am1, Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) claimed his second win of the weekend, but it was very close as a time penalty for exceeding track limits meant he only re-took the category lead from Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) on the last lap of the race. However, second place was enough to secure the category title for Sherwood.

Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) was another driver to make it a double win when he romped to Pro-Am2 victory, despite starting from the back of the grid after electing to run new tyres for the race. He went clear of category rivals Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) and Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and battled for many laps with Pro-Am1 leader Witt.

At the front of the race, Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) went ahead from the rolling start as Webster (Redline Racing) found himself elbowed back to fourth. Rees (In2 Racing) and Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) ran second and third and matched Meadows over the first half of the race. Then, as Webster worked back into contention, he ran side-by-side to Luffield with Jimenez. The Spanish driver was on the outside line and spun, leaving Webster third.

Rees continued to take the fight to Meadows, but the defending champion made certain of his second Silverstone win to set up a very tight championship finale at Brands Hatch.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) first overall:
'We were fast this weekend and it has given us good momentum for Brands. I'm going to have to fight for every point, but I've now had three or four maximum points' weekends."

Paul Rees (In2 Racing) second overall:
'I was pleased with the pace and I thought I was going to be able to get Michael. But overtaking round here is very difficult, and the start was so important. Finishing well ahead of Victor is good for the championship."

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) third overall:
'The car was good and our pace was good. It was just unfortunate at the start and I got a knock. I was too far back to catch Rees at the end."

'I got a five-second penalty, so I knew I had to push as hard as I could. I had to catch back up again and I got it back on the last lap. The race went very well, so I'm really happy."

Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'I had an advantage early on with the new tyres. But then I got a massive flat spot on a front tyre and it kept going back to the flat spot under braking. It was a really good battle with Jordan."

Attachments

• silv14_22_196.jpg
    silv14_22_196.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 17,790
  • silv14_21_384.jpg
    silv14_21_384.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 17,790
  • silv14_20_154.jpg
    silv14_20_154.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 17,790
  • silv14_19_206.jpg
    silv14_19_206.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17,790
  • silv14_16_164.jpg
    silv14_16_164.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 17,790
Two Carrera Cup GB titles settled at Silverstone

Michael Meadows closes in on overall leader Josh Webster
Justin Sherwood clinches Pro-Am1 title
Redline Racing crowned as team champions

The absorbing battle for the overall title in the 2014 Porsche Carrera Cup GB is set for a dramatic conclusion at Brands Hatch in mid-October after Michael Meadows took a double victory in rounds 16 and 17 at Silverstone (27/28 September). Championship leader and Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Josh Webster now has a slender four-point lead with two races left to run.

Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) completed a perfect weekend at Silverstone as the latest type-991 911 GT3 Cups raced in front of 32,000 fans and a massive live TV audience. Paul Rees (In2 Racing) and Webster (Redline Racing) shared the podium in Sunday's round 17.

Three drivers made their Carrera Cup debuts at Silverstone as former Renault Clio champion Josh Files raced the guest car for Team Parker Racing, single-seater racer James Fletcher joined Welch Motorsport and experienced sports car racer Mike Donovan (In2 Racing) had his first races on the Silverstone National circuit since 1986. All three delivered excellent performances.

While Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) scored a Pro-Am1 double, Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) clinched the Pro-Am1 title with another strong performance.

Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) earned the 'driver of the weekend' award for two excellent drives and two Pro-Am2 victories as he returned to the championship for the first time since Thruxton in May. Fletcher also won a set of tyres as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

In the teams' championship, Redline Racing took the first title of the Carrera Cup GB season when it won the prestigious award for the sixth time in the 12-year history of the championship. Redline Racing was also named as 'team of the weekend'.

Provisional Carrera Cup GB championship points after round 17:
Overall: 1 Josh Webster 316; 2 Michael Meadows 312; 3 Paul Rees 231.
Pro-Am1: 1 Justin Sherwood 116; 2 Rob Smith 71; 3 Jordan Witt 66.
Pro-Am2: 1 Peter Kyle-Henney 129; 2 Steven Liquorish 126; 3 Kelvin Fletcher 54.
Teams: 1 Redline Racing 526; 2 In2 Racing 372; 3 Samsung UHD TV Racing 312.

Final rounds: 11/12 October, Brands Hatch.

Attachments

• silv14_25_386.jpg
    silv14_25_386.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 17,786
  • silv14_24_137.jpg
    silv14_24_137.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 17,786
  • silv14_23_132.jpg
    silv14_23_132.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 17,786
Sherwood celebrates Carrera Cup GB Pro-Am1 title

Justin Sherwood is celebrating being crowned Pro-Am1 champion in the 2014 Porsche Carrera Cup GB after rounds 16 and 17 at Silverstone (27/28 September).

Sherwood (41), from Loughborough, stepped up to the Carrera Cup GB for 2014 after dominating the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge last season and continued his partnership with Team Parker Racing for an assault on the Pro-Am1 category.

After starting racing in 1992, Sherwood enjoyed great success in single-seaters before taking nearly a decade out of racing. He returned to sports and GT cars in 2012. This season, he has taken three wins and a further 10 Pro-Am1 podiums from 14 races to date. He missed the pair of races at Thruxton after an accident in qualifying and didn't race at Le Mans in June due to family commitments.

'It's been tough and I've had some inconsistency this year," said Sherwood. 'I'd have liked to win a few more races and Snetterton was very close. We had a good weekend at Rockingham. The cars are great to drive and I've really enjoyed myself. Team Parker Racing has done a great job and the car has always been fantastic. It's a great atmosphere in which to go racing."

While Sherwood cannot be caught in Pro-Am1, the battle for second in the category is wide open heading to the final two races at Brands Hatch (11/12 October). Rob Smith (Redline Racing), Jordan Witt (Redline Racing) and Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) are covered by just six points, although Leonard's participation at the Kent track is yet to be confirmed.

Attachments

• silv14_29_132.jpg
    silv14_29_132.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 17,781
  • silv14_28_207.jpg
    silv14_28_207.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 17,781
  • silv14_27_768.jpg
    silv14_27_768.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 17,781
  • silv14_26_161.jpg
    silv14_26_161.jpg