Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Yaris GR4

I just spotted this thread.

I have one (white circuit pack car), I have had it since the start of July, I paid a chap £750 for his slot, only ended up waiting two weeks and managed to be the 1st registered owner. Had to pay the new higher price of £35,600

I came to it from a Taycan prior to that I've had a number of RRS, Mclarens, RS Audi's Porsche etc

I've done 4,000 miles already, use it every day.

Bad points
Small fuel tank
Blind spots
Poor tech (no nav)
Seating a bit high
Bit noisy

Good points
Fast (as in an insane ability to maintain pace), on an A road it will be as quick as a 997 S, on a B road as fast as a 992 (Largely due to size, mass and grip)
Amazing stability in wet weather
Cheap new car motoring considering I'm adding a thousand miles a month.

The biggest compliment I can pay, it feels like the natural successor to the Honda ITR (25 years on), same lightweight race car-driven feel, and has a pace that shook the establishment.

I'll probably sell mine in a few months, there is only so long my wife will tolerate the 50-year-old me tearing around in a yoof mobile :mrgreen:
Also going back to an EV for a much shorter commute (currently 90 miles a day).

There were a few at a recent Croft track day and they were doing some decent lap times in them.
One guy had a black track pack car which had been heavily modified. He came past the pits sounding very sick, missing and popping, then the engine let go in big style!
A big fireball came out of the back of the car and the engine was toast, absolutely knackered.
Came back in and was trailer'd home, I was talking to the guy and he said I doubt I'll be able to claim on the warranty as it's been remapped!
Not sure how much a new engine's going to be but that's about his only route to getting it back on track.
They were lapping Croft in about the same times as a GT 3 but of course it all depends who's behind the wheel.

easternjets said:
There were a few at a recent Croft track day and they were doing some decent lap times in them.
One guy had a black track pack car which had been heavily modified. He came past the pits sounding very sick, missing and popping, then the engine let go in big style!
A big fireball came out of the back of the car and the engine was toast, absolutely knackered.
Came back in and was trailer'd home, I was talking to the guy and he said I doubt I'll be able to claim on the warranty as it's been remapped!
Not sure how much a new engine's going to be but that's about his only route to getting it back on track.
They were lapping Croft in about the same times as a GT 3 but of course it all depends who's behind the wheel.

It is already a highly stressed engine. 257 bhp from 1.5 3 cylinders, a bit silly to remap.

It's not really stressed at 257hp. Possibly at 320 plus but even then AMG are getting 400hp out of a 2 litre warrantied production engine. The whole unit is built to a very high spec. Great analysis here https://youtu.be/Rr1eJJhnsLQ

No plans for any remaps, it doesn't need it. Lots of these little cars are thrashed mercilessly by uncaring owners with no mechanical sympathy.It's not a track prepared car, its a road car, so should be treated accordingly. Tuning the b@lls off it and pounding round a track for hours on end will 100% end up with a blown engine. Mrs Shurv has asked me to take her round a track in it but I'd rather use my 996.

Mapping to one side as that's the same debate with any car. Most all GR's are optioned as Circuit Pack cars. Lightweight wheels, sports suspension, lower stiffer, and LSD's front and rear. It's built purposely light, carbon roof, aluminium doors, bonnet, tailgate with low COG, close ratio gear set, wide track and a wheelbase longer than a 991 turbo. It has more than adequate cooling and bigger brakes than a 997.1 GT3. Toyota encourage owners to track the car. It's as much, if not more, a track prepped car as a GT3 in that regard.

Right had it from new for just over 5 months (and 6k miles) been a joy but my quest for the perfect keeper goes on.

Now listed on pistonheads (at a bargain price :D )

Itiches still to scratch..
997 Gen 2
Boxster Spyder
GT4

Thoughts of retuning to a 993

vroomvroom said:
Right had it from new for just over 5 months (and 6k miles) been a joy but my quest for the perfect keeper goes on.

Seems a fair price chum. Some dealers are trying to sell them for +£40k used :floor:

The only perfect keeper I've found is the Audi A2 TdiSE :oops:

Zingari said:
vroomvroom said:

Seems a fair price chum. Some dealers are trying to sell them for +£40k used :floor:

The only perfect keeper I've found is the Audi A2 TdiSE :oops:

Dealers doing what dealers do :D :D

GR Yaris is great but there is only so much youth antisocial driving a 50 year old chap like me, can do. :cop:

I had my first experience in one of these on Sunday - paxxed around some Sussex country lanes.

It's an absolute hooligan of a car and the ride reminded me very much of the Ring Taxi ride I had in an i30N a few weeks ago.

I doubt that I could have gone any quicker around the tight and twisty lanes in my 997T - and I certainly wouldn't try to - but beyond that I don't think I'd want one for daily use. The typically basic plastic Japanese dash, limited creature comforts and practicality made it a very ordinary place to sit although I appreciate that many buyers wouldn't have such things on their list of 'must haves'.

It was exactly what I expected from what I'd read (in the press and on here) and I can fully understand why it's got such a great following.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back