Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tommy's 996.2 Carrera 2

Nice car and the LEDs look like a nice upgrade. :thumb:

Y2K said:
Nice car and the LEDs look like a nice upgrade. :thumb:
Cheers!

Around the middle of April I sent the car away to Revolution Porsche for the following.

LN Engineering IMS bearing
New clutch (and associated parts e.g. slave, release lever, clamp and other bits) and flywheel
New water pump
New low temp thermostat
Two new tensioners, a water pipe and new coolant
New RSS engine mounts
2 new AC condensers, new seal on large AC pipe
AC regas
New gearbox fluid
New fuel cap
New coolant cap
Replace poorly made brake pipes and distribution block
Replace brake fluid
Clear plenum chamber drains (FOC)
Replace all indicator bulbs as no longer orange (FOC)

That little lot made up a four page invoice and a rather large final cost. In fact I think it's the largest single car maintenance/upgrade bill I've ever paid :eek: It wasn't helped by the fact that the engine had to be dropped when a water pump bolt snapped. All credit to Revolution as they called me beforehand and told me they were trying to unbolt the pump but it was getting to the point where the bolts might snap and that would incur an extra 5 hours labour. Do I want to go ahead or leave it? I gave them the go ahead to replace the pump whatever happens.

With the car back and some miles put on I can report the RSS engine mounts create significantly more noise, vibration and harshness. More than I was expecting. It's significantly louder in the cabin and even sounds a bit different. In the first few miles there was a trim resonance in the rear of the cabin at around 2.5K- 3K revs but that only happened on the first day and has not come back. If it persisted I would have been very unhappy! The car 'buzzes' a little and reminds me of a proper, 'no slack in the system', solid bushed race car. It's certainly no hardship. It makes the car that bit more 'raw'.

Since having all the work done I am quite happy to give it the full beans without worry however I am still keeping a close eye on coolant and oil levels. Before the work the oil level was solid but since the work I've had to top up a litre in just 500 miles. A different oil has been used so could be part of the issue. We'll see.

Other issues include two leaking tyres which I had looked at. No punctures could be found but corrosion was found on the inner rims so they were cleaned up and I'm glad to report the tyres no longer leak. Whilst at the tyre place it gave me an opportunity to look inside the wheel arches and check what lowering springs the car has. Thankfully they are H&R and not some unknown brand.

The AC now works but it is still a bit noisy now and again in operation. Maybe more and more use over the coming months will sort it out. Hopefully there's no leaks elsewhere and I actually do retain AC throughout the summer!

Oh and I also found out it has a 997 short shift fitted.

There's still plenty of work to do and the priority list goes something like this:

Fix rust on leading edge of sills/trailing edge of front wings

Refresh suspension - been looking into this and there are so many links and arms in the Porsche set up that it is going to be very costly to sort. Will have to save hard and think hard about what to do as I want to put on a set of Ohlins too.

New exhaust with 200 cell cats

IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body

Respray both bumpers

The only thing in the list that plays on my mind though is the rust. I just want that sorted asap.

Another photo. 'Arty' this time :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bleasedudley
Back