Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sound deadening/proofing a 993

:dont know:

If you think it matters, just don't fill up the last 10 litres of fuel.

Having just had it resprayed and firmly insisted that the body shop replace the door material they removed (with new), I was amused by their 180 degree u-turn on the subject. The guy that test drove it afterwards said that everyone is always worried about weight loss, none of which you can tell. However, this he reckoned made it the nicest 993 he'd driven because "all you hear is that glorious exhaust! No rattles, no squeaks"

I did switch to lightweight wheels, and being un-sprung that is very noticeable. But 10-15KG spread evenly over the interior...

re weight saving . the front seats weigh a fair amount ,I was surprised by the difference between the the big bolster soft back sports I removed vs and the Recaro LS I put in recently.

Ian

Tobe did the skinz insulation also replace the floor foam padding that is directly underneath the floor mats? The thick foam ones that are contoured to the floor and are black on top. The ones described here: http://porsche993c2s.blogspot.com/2013/01/foam-sound-insulation.html?m=1

Autofarm was doing some work on the car and found it to be soaking wet so I might have to replace it. Not sure if I need the same thing or if I can just use the Skinz stuff

In my case, it didn't.

nk993 said:
Autofarm was doing some work on the car and found it to be soaking wet so I might have to replace it. Not sure if I need the same thing or if I can just use the Skinz stuff

Hi nk993,
The foam padding will dry out if you're patient enough - but I'd be more concerned about why it's so wet?
Have you checked the usual things - make sure the sunroof drain tubes are clear, scuttle corners, door membranes etc.?
If water does get in, it can run from the front to the back, or from the back to the front - and just get soaked up along the way. Unfortunately, this doesn't help you find where it's coming from - but, it will always find it's way to the lowest point, which is why you are seeing it there.
Rear sunroof drain tubes blocked can lead to water on the rear shelf, under the rear seat squabs and then the floor.
The front sunroof drains blocked can overflow into the A post, and then over the sill to the floor.
A badly fitted leaky screen, or badly rusted scuttle can result in rainwater dripping from under the dash.
Believe it or not - getting water in the front luggage compartment will also run into the cabin (so I'm told) - that front lid seal is quite important.
Likewise, your door seals and the membrane behind the door panel (though Sylwester will have addressed that)

Have a rummage around inside the car, feel the carpet for wet spots and look for clues - and don't forget that there's some quite important electrical gubbins under your seats.... you don't want to get them too wet :thumbs:

Thanks Andy. My assumption would be it was wet because of my Autoglass fiasco (see thread). But autofarm is checking everything over to make sure nothing is blocked.

nk993 said:
Thanks Andy. My assumption would be it was wet because of my Autoglass fiasco (see thread). But autofarm is checking everything over to make sure nothing is blocked.

Oh yeah - I remember that thread :nooo:

I don't get here that often nowadays so it's difficult keeping up, but I suspect that that will be the water issue.

Slightly off topic, I've just seen your 993 blog Andy, from your signature link. Great read & lots of nice tips. A few little things now added to my future list. Thanks for sharing :thumb:

... to add to all the tips I've collected from Tobesetc over the last many months. Thanks too :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back