Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Retro Fit PCM2 into a 2002 996 C2

You can, if you want that OEM Look, noting the following....

PCM 1 First Generation (8 bit) - 1998 to Dec 2000 996/986 Boxster
PCM 1 Second Generation (16 Bit) - Jan 2001 to Aug 2002 996/986 Boxster
PCM 2.0 - Sept 02 onwards in 996/Boxster
PCM 2.0 - (CD Based) Cayenne introduction until Aug 2004
PCM 2.1 - (DVD Based) Cayenne Sept 2004 on, and all 987/997.
PCM 3.0 - Sept 08 onwards in 997.2 and 987.2 and then in all other models

Out of curiosity why? I’ve had the CDR23, PCM2 and now have a PCCM+

The PCM 2.0 is basically useless today. The GPS rollover means the date will always show incorrect, it supports no external inputs or modern phone connectivity natively, no DAB and to use the maps (last updated in 2016), you need to have the map CD in place, so no listening to music unless you also have the CD changer.

I’ve tried the Dension Gateway and mr12V and both were okay when there was no other option but both are rather janky to work with often bugging out.

If you want OEM then the PCCM+ offers essentially a modern OEM unit for your 21 year old car. If the price is too much but you want something that looks OEM then recently there’s been a Chinese unit designed to plug in and look OEM that looks pretty great at a fraction of the cost.

I’ve done the retrofit so can tell you it
Is 100% possible and not too difficult. Happy to answer any questions. But seriously think if the PCM 2.0 is something you seriously want. It’s a lot of cost for no real improvement since all the extra features over the single din are really no longer supported.

You can, if you want that OEM Look, noting the following....

PCM 1 First Generation (8 bit) - 1998 to Dec 2000 996/986 Boxster
PCM 1 Second Generation (16 Bit) - Jan 2001 to Aug 2002 996/986 Boxster
PCM 2.0 - Sept 02 onwards in 996/Boxster
PCM 2.0 - (CD Based) Cayenne introduction until Aug 2004
PCM 2.1 - (DVD Based) Cayenne Sept 2004 on, and all 987/997.
PCM 3.0 - Sept 08 onwards in 997.2 and 987.2 and then in all other models
Thanks very helpful, my car is registered 8/2002 so I have written to Porsche with the VIN to find out which model fits. Do you know if I could simply fit the PCM 2 unit using existing plugs etc? Thanks

Out of curiosity why? I’ve had the CDR23, PCM2 and now have a PCCM+

The PCM 2.0 is basically useless today. The GPS rollover means the date will always show incorrect, it supports no external inputs or modern phone connectivity natively, no DAB and to use the maps (last updated in 2016), you need to have the map CD in place, so no listening to music unless you also have the CD changer.

I’ve tried the Dension Gateway and mr12V and both were okay when there was no other option but both are rather janky to work with often bugging out.

If you want OEM then the PCCM+ offers essentially a modern OEM unit for your 21 year old car. If the price is too much but you want something that looks OEM then recently there’s been a Chinese unit designed to plug in and look OEM that looks pretty great at a fraction of the cost.

I’ve done the retrofit so can tell you it
Is 100% possible and not too difficult. Happy to answer any questions. But seriously think if the PCM 2.0 is something you seriously want. It’s a lot of cost for no real improvement since all the extra features over the single din are really no longer supported.
Thanks and very helpful. I don't want to splash out on a PCCM+, do you happen to know the name of the Chinese unit?

Not that fussed about OEM, but want a unit the will fill the hole, provide Sat Nav, DAB radio and CD player or link to Phone.

Thanks

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back