Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche''s Official 996 Buyers guide - Interesting!

They wont, too many 996 produced to command the prices that the likes of the 993 etc do. To many bits that air cooled dont like, the lights put people off regardless of what we all think. To be honest Im not fussed if the prices rise, I kind of like it being the bastard child of the 911 and thats its an affordable 911 so I dont worry too much on using it or keeping the OPC stamp in the book etc etc.
Im not going to pretend it has anything over the other models, main thing is for the price right now its hard to beat.

Main appeals are:
Good to drive,
Relatively easy/cheap to maintain.
Easy to tweek.
modest value
its a 911.

Wasn't the exact same said about the 964? And weren't 964 prices in a similar position to the 996 back then?

The thing with cheap sports cars is not as many are kept on the road due to repair costs. Then the numbers dwindle and all of a sudden prices rocket due to rarity. Not saying that is happening right now with the Boxster and 996 but at some point it will.

Alex said:
Wasn't the exact same said about the 964? And weren't 964 prices in a similar position to the 996 back then?

I was thinking the same, but there were as many 996's produced as 964's & 993's combined...which undoubtedly has an influence on how high the values will go.

coullstar said:
They wont, too many 996 produced to command the prices that the likes of the 993 etc do. To many bits that air cooled dont like, the lights put people off regardless of what we all think. To be honest Im not fussed if the prices rise, I kind of like it being the bastard child of the 911 and thats its an affordable 911 so I dont worry too much on using it or keeping the OPC stamp in the book etc etc.
Im not going to pretend it has anything over the other models, main thing is for the price right now its hard to beat.

Main appeals are:
Good to drive,
Easy to tweek.
modest value
its a 911.

^^^^ Is the right answer.

The fans and folk with a vested interest have been bigging them up for years saying things like 'Get one while they're cheap", blah, blah. Yet they never go up.

Great cars but unfortunately the engines in them have way too many possibilities for a terminal failure.
Even without IMS bearing failures and bore score (which do happen on 3.4 too as I've seen plenty at my Indy's over the years), they can crack bores, drop a valve etc.
They're just too much of a risk for entry level 'exotica". Things like a Toyota engined Elise or E46 M3 are a safer option.
Yes they all cost money to run but don't often require a new engine. M3 vanos might need doing plus rear subframe but still, it's not £12k!

I'm a huge 996 fan, but we need to be realistic. A lot of folk are scared of the issues or just don't like the looks. There's plenty of choice in the £25k bracket. Nothing that drives as well, but for every person who values steering feel etc, there's one who values a flat bottomed steering wheel and better hifi.
You have RS4s, M3s, Lotus, a newer Boxster or Cayman, etc etc.

Like I say I love them. Onto my third one now, but that ten year or so period from 1998-2009 (pre DFi engines) are probably the worst in history for Porsche engines.
The mid 70's 2.7 engine was dire and 964s leak oil, but they were never catastrophic failures. They'd limp on for years.

Anyway, last summer was peak price time. We won't see things back at those prices for a while.
Buy one because you like it, then keep it nice and enjoy it. It should be relatively affordable motoring in something that offers a great experience for the money. :thumb:

As Griffter says, it could go either way values wise anyway. One bit of bad news regarding legislation and the arse will drop out of the market overnight.
The goal for no more new ICE car sales is 2035. But dig deeper and a lot of countries have a 2050 goal of no ICE cars on the roads whatsoever.
It doesn't look good. :nooo:

If there were only 952 x 98 (cable throttle, amber lights), Cabriolets produced, I'm going to guess at least half were tiptronic, so 1998 manual Cabriolets are probably well under 500 in number, taking into account those no longer on the road, probably under 300.

That's my excuse for spending money, time and effort on bringing it back to it's best! :thumb:

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-911-996-sales-production-numbers/

YPVS said:
If there were only 952 x 98 (cable throttle, amber lights), Cabriolets produced, I'm going to guess at least half were tiptronic, so 1998 manual Cabriolets are probably well under 500 in number, taking into account those no longer on the road, probably under 300.

That's my excuse for spending money, time and effort on bringing it back to it's best! :thumb:

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-911-996-sales-production-numbers/

Those numbers refer to 'Model Years' so there were 952 produced between August 1997 and July 1998.

If your car was produced in August 1998 or later it's one of 9,458 produced in that Model year.

I wouldn't let that put you off doing what you're doing though. :wink: :thumb:

Marky911 said:
coullstar said:

Main appeals are:
Good to drive,
Easy to tweek.
modest value
i

^^^^ Is the right answer.

The fans and folk with a vested interest have been bigging them up for years saying things like 'Get one while they're cheap", blah, blah. Yet they never go up.

Great cars but unfortunately the engines in them have way too many possibilities for a terminal failure.
Even without IMS bearing failures and bore score (which do happen on 3.4 too as I've seen plenty at my Indy's over the years), they can crack bores, drop a valve etc.
They're just too much of a risk for entry level 'exotica". Things like a Toyota engined Elise or E46 M3 are a safer option.
Yes they all cost money to run but don't often require a new engine. M3 vanos might need doing plus rear subframe but still, it's not £12k!

I'm a huge 996 fan, but we need to be realistic. A lot of folk are scared of the issues or just don't like the looks. There's plenty of choice in the £25k bracket. Nothing that drives as well, but for every person who values steering feel etc, there's one who values a flat bottomed steering wheel and better hifi.
You have RS4s, M3s, Lotus, a newer Boxster or Cayman, etc etc.

Like I say I love them. Onto my third one now, but that ten year or so period from 1998-2009 (pre DFi engines) are probably the worst in history for Porsche engines.
The mid 70's 2.7 engine was dire and 964s leak oil, but they were never catastrophic failures. They'd limp on for years.

Anyway, last summer was peak price time. We won't see things back at those prices for a while.
Buy one because you like it, then keep it nice and enjoy it. It should be relatively affordable motoring in something that offers a great experience for the money. :thumb:

As Griffter says, it could go either way values wise anyway. One bit of bad news regarding legislation and the arse will drop out of the market overnight.
The goal for no more new ICE car sales is 2035. But dig deeper and a lot of countries have a 2050 goal of no ICE cars on the roads whatsoever.
It doesn't look good. :nooo:

Spot on Marky
Over the years I have owned 5 M96 engined cars and not one of them is currently mot'd or has been in recent times.
:nooo:

Interesting @marky911 and @kas750 so after collectively what x8 9x6 cars and 9000+ comments on this 911 site your advice is, don't buy a 996:997 buy a BM or something else instead?
So any hopeful future owners reading this you need nerves of steel and balls that swing low to have a 911 Carrera, if not get a Toyota engined whatever.
Can I offer for the record I reckon mines gone up 60% from first purchase, I've had x4 9x6 cars and none have blown up, yet... Get one while they're cheap :thumb:

Buy as many as you can, they are great. If they break, fix them. :thumb:

MC

MisterCorn said:

MC

+1

Love mine and don't want for anything else.

Alex said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

+1

Love mine and don't want for anything else.

+2

Had the heartache and had money money back tbf

Loved my e46 m3s but that was foreplay before the real thing 👌

kas750 said:
Over the years I have owned 5 M96 engined cars and not one of them is currently mot'd or has been in recent times.
:nooo:

Are they showing as SORN'd or not showing up on the check? Could be on private plates :dont know:

2K said:
Interesting @marky911 and @kas750 so after collectively what x8 9x6 cars and 9000+ comments on this 911 site your advice is, don't buy a 996:997 buy a BM or something else instead?
So any hopeful future owners reading this you need nerves of steel and balls that swing low to have a 911 Carrera, if not get a Toyota engined whatever.
Can I offer for the record I reckon mines gone up 60% from first purchase, I've had x4 9x6 cars and none have blown up, yet... Get one while they're cheap :thumb:

Not at all. You'll notice I was keen to stress I'm a big fan of the 996.
I was merely stating why prices aren't due to rocket simply because of that feature.
There's just far too much choice in the £25k bracket and plenty of folk will choose an M3, Elise, etc etc if they don't like the mechanical risks of the M96 engine.

I too know plenty of 996s that haven't blown up. I also know plenty that have and to ignore the risks would be daft.
All said and done, yes I'd still choose one over anything else for £25k, but as to why they won't rocket upto 964 values, well, that's why. Thousands of them made and they come with a fair bit of risk. That's all.

...to ignore the unpredictable risks associated and well documented contained within the m96/7 engines is not only daft but ignorant beyond help :hand:

...I have said this a thousand times: don't buy a 996/7 unless you have a spare £10ish k ,or buy one with a rebuilt engine unless you really like to gamble!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back