Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Play in gearshift from gearbox end (not from shifter)

Spicer92

Hi guys,

The 987 I picked up in the summer has a very sloppy shift. It changes gear fine, but there is a lot of play in the mechanism. It's a 2010 2.9 6 speed.

I have a SSK which Alex from here machined up for me, and has no play in the shift mechanism at all. Any play between the cable ends and the actual gear selector arms on the gearbox is minimal (is there a technical name for these parts?).

As you can see from the video, even when in gear the gearknob has a lot of side-side, and front-back play. You can see in the video how the gear selector arms of the gearbox are wobbling as the shifter is wiggled whilst in gear.

Without knowing much about these, I would assume that they run on bushes which have worn out. I have read lots about play in the shift mechanism at the gearknob-mechanism end, and in the cable ends, but not about this.

It has standard cables (I'll get numeric if they break during my ownership), but that shouldn't affect this.

Any thoughts? What are my options? Looks like it would be a right PITA to tinker and take any of this apart without removing the gearbox.

Thanks! (I suggest opening the video in youtube to watch fullscreen as its hard to see exactly whats happening here).
https://youtu.be/yrmPCgDtiAE

Thanks Alex, I've seen these, but there is no (or very minimal) slop on the actual cable ends where they pop onto the ball joints.

It's the gear selector arms that attach to the gearbox that are causing the slop- I could install these and perhaps get a marginal improvement but the main issue will still be there.

Cheers

Sounds like play in the selector rail (internally). :dont know:

Thanks, I'll have a read into it. It certainly seems to be the gearbox rather than the shifter or cables.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back