Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC warranty transfer 90 day rule

Steve997

Spa-Francorchamps
Just purchased a used Porsche privately, with 2 months OPC warranty remaining and I want to transfer to me and then extend for 2 years.

Rang a local OPC who said I need to own the car for 90 days first and then do 111 check costing £380. Is that correct?

My understanding was the 90 day ownership rule was only for a new warranty to be purchased not an extension of a transfred warranty after a private purchase. I also didn't think a 111 check was required for an extension as the car was already on cover.

Anyone clarify?

I suspect as usual, different OPC interpret the rules differently and maybe I need to go elsewhere.

During your ownership, currently there is no need for a 111 point check to extend the existing warranty. I am unsure in the context of transfer of ownership. Best ring another OPC to clarify .

I'd have asked the previous owner to take out the new warranty - at your cost - as it can be extended without having to wait for the old one to expire. It would have avoided any other costs.

I didn't think the 90 day rule applied if you could show that it was private purchase but I'm not surprised that they expect you to have a 111 point check done. £380 is a nonsense though.

If you can't get the previous owner to sort it for you it would definitely pay to ring another OPC.

Private sale means it can be transferred to you immediately.

Renewing it would have meant a 111 point in the past. I read on here they stopped doing those.

Sticking to facts and hoping to avoid any chance fake news...

My recently purchased 9 year old and out of Porsche warranty C4S has in the last week or so been subjected to and eventually passed the 111 point check list to then be accepted on to the Porsche Approved Insurance/Warranty scheme, at my local OPC.

As above, the 90 day rule only applies if the warranty has lapsed or the previous owner has cancelled and claimed a refund (which I assume they haven't given it only has two months left anyway and was presumably a selling point?).

The warranty lives with the car and should be transferable whether or not any claims have been made (any claim renders a refund on the outstanding months void).

I'm pretty sure the advice is wrong and also the quote for a 111 pt check seems far too high (I paid £230 for mine). As per others I bought from an indy which meant I did have to observe the 3 month ownership before I could take out a warranty.

Fully transferable when sold privately and renewable without the need for the inspection. They are mugging you off.

* Hence the price for an extension being more than just buying the warranty

They are quoting for a standalone new policy

spongebob squarepants said:
Fully transferable when sold privately and renewable without the need for the inspection. They are mugging you off.

* Hence the price for an extension being more than just buying the warranty

They are quoting for a standalone new policy

Exactly what I thought. Thanks for the clarification and annoying that an OPC would try this on.

Hopefully there isn't something deep in the small print about warranty transfers in the last month 😬

spongebob squarepants said:
Hopefully there isn't something deep in the small print about warranty transfers in the last month 😬

What makes you think this ?

lol nothing really, but knowing Porsche.....

Some OPC employees are ill informed as one mentioned to me the need for a 111 point check to renew warranty when the renewal letter from Porsche UK clearly stated this has been diespensed with for renewals.

In all other scenarios Luddite has been through the mixer on warranty and Sponge uses a macro lens of a magnitude akin to the Hubble telescope to scrutinise used car buying small print.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back