Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lightweight Flywheel conversion on my 1994 993 Carrera

Surinder Randhawa said:
Never had an issue with my c2 RSR fitted it and it's been one of the best mods I have carried out. Totally transforms the car with almost zero inertia as you blast around the Rev range...

:thumbs:

My 993 came from the factory with a single mass flywheel, it never stalls or hunts, just an example that correctly set up you should not experience problems.

cableguy said:
I see the LW Flywheel & Clutch Kit are now for sale: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=141190

Why the change of mind after only a couple of months...?

C.

Basically the inconsistency experienced while driving, the car would run well after re-setting the ECU but would revert to stalling on downshift soon after, often you could blip to catch the revs but not in all situations. There was one particularly scary moment on the A34 driving from CoG where it stalled whilst downshifting to overtake, which could have been nasty.

It revved so much more quickly but for me the negatives outweighed the positives.

Surprisingly, despite the good reviews, the Steve Wong chip has no effect on the stalling (he was very helpful in troubleshooting this and in the end accepted a return, so I can't fault his customer service), I could have had a custom map but all the big names were booked up for months and even then further visits may be required to tweak the map, so the car may not be right for a while.

Much happier now she's running consistently and smoothly again with a DMF. I know experiences differ with LWF especially with the 94 and 95 cars (96-on cars seem to accept it with no mods!), as you see above there are many who are very happy with their LWF and have no issues whatsoever, but for my 94, I couldn't live with it.

Good review which will certainly help owners considering this conversion in making a decision. :thumb:

C.

At last a mod I don't want for my '94! Only took 6 years to find it.

Thanks for being so honest about the downsides. I sometimes feel people are inclined to "big-up" mods they've done.

Thanks for the info Gwsinc, this plus your instagram have been very useful.

I was 100% sure I was going to get this, but now not so sure. Mine is a 1997, so I was hoping the stalling would be less of an issue with that.

My dmf is currently failing so will have to make decision soon

nk993 said:
Thanks for the info Gwsinc, this plus your instagram have been very useful.

I was 100% sure I was going to get this, but now not so sure. Mine is a 1997, so I was hoping the stalling would be less of an issue with that.

My dmf is currently failing so will have to make decision soon

The 96's and later generally work perfectly with LWF from what I've read as it has a very different ECU. Many here I'm sure will back this up.

My experience is totally based on my '94 so please use others experiences of 96's and later rather than only mine.

And I'm not just saying that because my LWF is for sale :floor:

I had a LWF (and RS clutch) fitted to my 1997 C2S and stallling was never a problem. '96 onwards ECUs seem to adapt fine.

cableguy said:
Good review which will certainly help owners considering this conversion in making a decision. :thumb:

C.

Indeed. I bought a nearly new RS LWF and clutch years ago and it's still kicking around in my shed..... My 993 is a very early one and reading the review it sounds a total PITA.... so when time comes I think I'll bite the bullet and go the DMF route which is a shame as I really like the idea of running the LWF but I simply can't afford the cost to replace a FW and clutch twice

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back