Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I think my engine number is wrong

wadavie

Hi All,

I have issues with my VIN and my engine number. My main issue is with the engine number but let me also show my issues with the VIN just in case you people have any thoughts.

I have two issues with my VIN. The year is X which in the UK is from September 1st 2000 to February 28th 2001, however my logbook says that my car was registered on 1st January 2000 so it is not within the correct range.

My VIN has a '5' for the manufacturers location which does not seem to exist and it should be a letter instead of a number.

My engine number is M96/0166X06252. This was taken from the engine block itself, the tag that is written in a dot matrix way.

From what I know this means a 6 cyclinder, 3.4L engine. However, my logbook says that my engine is a 3.6L.

I just purchased a new fuel filter for the car and when looking in the engine bay there is no fuel filter.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

Regarding your Vin No. If your car was registered in January 2000 it will have been produced in Porsche Model Year 1999 which runs from August 1999 to July 2000 and should have a Y in it.

When registering with the DVLA it is not unknown for the S to have been miswritten /mis-keyed as a 5.

Your VIN number should read WP0ZZZ99ZYS6 followed by a 5 digit serial number.

Re your engine number: 66X is the correct identifier within the M96/01 and 06252 is just your engine serial number.

A model year 1999 996 Carrera registered in January 2000 would have a 3.4 engine. The Gen 2 model with the 3.6 engine wasn't launched until August 2001 for Model Year 2002.

Again, it is most likely that the DVLA were given the wrong information.

Your VIN and engine numbers will always be right.

Thanks for the reply T8.

If the engine number is correct, which I believe it is too, then why am I missing the fuel filter? Or it is at least not in the location it is expected to be.

T8 said:
Regarding your Vin No. If your car was registered in January 2000 it will have been produced in Porsche Model Year 1999 which runs from August 1999 to July 2000 and should have a Y in it.

When registering with the DVLA it is not unknown for the S to have been miswritten /mis-keyed as a 5.

Re your engine number: 66X is the correct identifier within the M96/01 and 06252 is just your engine serial number.

A model year 1999 996 Carrera registered in January 2000 would have a 3.4 engine. The Gen 2 model with the 3.6 engine wasn't launched until August 2001 for Model Year 2002.

Again, it is most likely that the DVLA were given the wrong information.

Your VIN and engine numbers will always be right.

I beg to differ a bit.
Jan 2000 registration would imply an Aug 99 to July 00 production year which for Porsche is a 2000 model year car. However could it be a cancellation from the end of the '99 model year that was registered late, in which case all the numbers are correct, except digit 11 which should indeed be and S for Stuttgart. Model years start the August of the year before.

I'm pretty sure Porsche won't have got it wrong, dealers and DVLA however... not so much.

½cwt said:
T8 said:

I beg to differ a bit.

Jan 2000 registration would imply an Aug 99 to July 00 production year which for Porsche is a 2000 model year car. However could it be a cancellation from the end of the '99 model year that was registered late, in which case all the numbers are correct, except digit 11 which should indeed be and S for Stuttgart. Model years start the August of the year before.

:oops: You are of course correct.

My "model year 1999" was a typo as Wayne had said his car had an X digit.

If it has got an X your explanation as to why seems very likely to be the case.

After re-reading the first post it appears that Wayne may be confused about the relevance of the X digit in his VIN.

wadavie said:
...... The year is X which in the UK is from September 1st 2000 to February 28th 2001, however my logbook says that my car was registered on 1st January 2000 so it is not within the correct range.

The X in the Vin Number has nothing to do with the X used as a UK registration number.

My reg doc has a 5 instead of an S too, not bothered to correct it!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back