Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How the heck do you remove the A pillar trim?

wozy

Sao Paulo
Morning all.

I want to fit a DAB aerial to the windscreen but can't see how to remove the A pillar trim so I can run the cable behind it.

Also hopefully there is painted metal behind it to Earth the aerial too?

Any ideas?

As far as I know is the trim glued to the metal pillar. It is easy to hide the aerial wire under the windscreen gasket, either on the interior trim side or between the glass and gasket. I have installed many tenths of DAB aerial wires as well as the handsfree mic wire like this.
Cheers,
Tore

I fitted a DAB aerial on the rear 1/4 window. The rear trim is easy to remove and I thought it was less intrusive where I couldn't see it from the drivers seat.
The signal is very good with the Continental head unit

Attachments

• 20190616135343_resized_857.jpg
    20190616135343_resized_857.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,718
mashby said:
I fitted a DAB aerial on the rear 1/4 window. The rear trim is easy to remove and I thought it was less intrusive where I couldn't see it from the drivers seat.
The signal is very good with the Continental head unit

Thanks for the replies.

I like the idea of installing in the rear quarter window. Just two questions , did you run the cable under the plastic trim panel which separates the door seal from the carpet and if so how do you remove it, ie does it just pull off? Also how did you get the Earth cable to work ie I can't see how you get it pass the window rubber to get a good Earth

Its been a couple of years since I fitted it and I can't remember if I removed the plastic finisher or just tucked the cable underneath.
With regards the earthing of the antenna it works perfectly without the connection. I was going to extend the earth strip but tried it without first.
If I get chance tonight I'll have a look how I routed the cable.

mashby said:
Its been a couple of years since I fitted it and I can't remember if I removed the plastic finisher or just tucked the cable underneath.
With regards the earthing of the antenna it works perfectly without the connection. I was going to extend the earth strip but tried it without first.

Thanks for the reply :) It would be really helpful if you have chance to have a look how you did it.

Really surprised it works so well without using the Earth tab and happy days if I don't require to use it as it seems a pain to try and pull the rubber window seal back :thumb:

Many thanks

wozy said:
mashby said:

Thanks for the reply :) It would be really helpful if you have chance to have a look how you did it.

Really surprised it works so well without using the Earth tab and happy days if I don't require to use it as it seems a pain to try and pull the rubber window seal back :thumb:

Many thanks

Just been out and had a look. I did tuck the cable under the cill trim. I removed the B pillar trim to run behind and at the front removed the carpet panel with the round OBD cover on to go behind. The cable is not visible anywhere so apart from the stick on aerial it's quite discreet. :thumb:

Ps. I've sent you a PM

Talking of DAB aerial location, is there any reason not to fit it to the rear screen?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the rear screen demister can interfere when in use.

The Demister copper lines will act as an effective shielding for radio signals. No antennas can be placed on the rear glass with any good results.
Cheers,
Tore

Ah - OK - will have to have a play with the side glass or thw windscreen.

mashby said:
wozy said:
mashby said:

Many thanks

Just been out and had a look. I did tuck the cable under the cill trim. I removed the B pillar trim to run behind and at the front removed the carpet panel with the round OBD cover on to go behind. The cable is not visible anywhere so apart from the stick on aerial it's quite discreet. :thumb:

Ps. I've sent you a PM

Thanks for the PM. I've just responded :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back