Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Goodbye Carrera, Hello Turbo...

petefm10 said:
The second to last picture is the best shot of any 911 I'[/size]ve seen! [/size] The car in that light and angle tops any 911 including the hallowed 993!

Great car, great shots.

Some years ago I took a 996 C2 from Cheshire to Sienna and back via the alps and Monaco - it was epic. Next summer the same route is planned, same destination hotel amongst the Chianti vineyards. Given the rise and rise of the 996TT there should be an annual trans-continent outing

:?:

996 turbos just look better and better..Before their time for sure. 8)

The 996 is the first (and to date only) design of the 911 that tried to be different/futuristic as both 997 and 991 are homages to the original design, at some point in the future that WILL be seen as a positive... And I still think it looks fresh on the outside (if not so much inside)

Plus the turbo/gt3 mezger blocks are already legendary status!

Love the combination of the Cobalt and the Techno style rims - a little different - one of the nicest examples of 996 Turbo I've seen to date!

Ours got a fresh MOT just this afternoon (can't believe I've done 4K miles since the last one - would never have thought it)! They are great fun and I think the only problem is that once you go Turbo there is no going back...

:thumb:

Paul_911 said:
They are great fun and I think the only problem is that once you go Turbo there is no going back...

Why is that a problem? :grin:

Seriously, I know what you mean. The 996T was the only car that fitted my 'needs' and budget 17 months ago and I thought that by now I'd be aching to get into something newer and normally aspirated.

Now, the only 911 I'd consider buying for under £50k would be a 997T.

Paul_911 said:
Love the combination of the Cobalt and the Techno style rims - a little different - one of the nicest examples of 996 Turbo I've seen to date!

Ours got a fresh MOT just this afternoon (can't believe I've done 4K miles since the last one - would never have thought it)! They are great fun and I think the only problem is that once you go Turbo there is no going back...

:thumb:

The trouble with the 996 turbo is that the engine dominates the show, it's just so torquey, powerful & flexible that people assume the turbo is all about power. One thing I have come to realize is that the turbos chassis is astoundingly well judged for a road car. You will get people saying that a GT3 is sharper, more focused which it undoubtedly is for track work, but as a useable package on British roads in British weather, I think that the turbo is almost untouchable.

I have a 550bhp supercharged E46M3, and whilst it is a fantastic drive, even with numerous suspension mods such as CSL roll bars, 3k worth of intrax dampers etc it's still nowhere near as good as a 78k miles 996 turbo on standard suspension. The damping & rebound rates are spot on, whilst maintaining a firm stance & not being crashy over pot holes, over banding & all the other crap surfaces we put up with. I was considering some Bilsteins for the 996 but I'm loathed to alter such a good package, as I don't really do any track work....

mazza said:
Thanks for your kind comments guys, really appreciate them, I have to say on a clear sunny day the colour is beautiful!

Jamesyg said:
Beautiful Car! Get a vid up if possible... Want to hear that exhaust!

I'll see if I can put something on YouTube... Watch this space

chriscoates81 said:
How much and what is the make of the exhaust if you don't mind Me asking?

It's from 9excellence, speak to Ken, it's one of his own creations and being switchable makes it so much more useable! it's not cheap £3k + vat + fitting, but worth every penny! If you're near to west London happy to give a live demonstration!

infrasilver said:
And WHY won't you go into detail of the road trips. :x

Haha, well I thought the post was long enough as it is! That said I've had a couple of people pm me asking details so I will post up soon with a couple more pics!

petefm10 said:
The second to last picture is the best picture of any 911 I've seen[/size] The car in that light and angle tops any 911 including the hallowed 993!

Thanks petefm10, was quite lucky with the angle/background/weather... Prob my fave picture too!

Unfortunately i live up north in yorkshire, as for costs it seems all turbo exhausts are around 2-3 grand. No 300 quid hack on these :nooo:

Lovely car . Congratulations :thumb:

T8 said:
Paul_911 said:
They are great fun and I think the only problem is that once you go Turbo there is no going back...

Why is that a problem? :grin:

Seriously, I know what you mean. The 996T was the only car that fitted my 'needs' and budget 17 months ago and I thought that by now I'd be aching to get into something newer and normally aspirated.

Now, the only 911 I'd consider buying for under £50k would be a 997T.

I think this is a real problem for anyone with a 911 turbo as it seems virtually impossible to think of any other car that can beat it (as a complete package of performance, value, excitement, practicality... I could go on).

T8 mentions 'needs' and this is the most telling as I could only ever consider trading for something else if my needs and circumstances were to change significantly.

For s**ts and giggles there are plenty of other cars that can put a big smile on your face or dutifully fulfil a specific function but all are flawed or compromised in one or more important area. None can match the all encompassing prowess of the turbo, and the 996 variant at current prices offers the ultimate sweet spot :thumb:

The photographs in this thread have me swooning! Owning a special car is so much more than nuts and bolts it's what you do with it.

All the way to the Greek Islands under your own steam sounds so much better than a day of misery on a package holiday charter flight :worship:

Hi Mazza - pleasure meeting you at the weekend.

Well, good and bad really. Bad, as I now have to have a 9E exhaust! :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back