Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fixing my 911's engine - Take 2

infrasilver said:
Oil in the intake does sound like the AOS is failing.

Good luck with the rest of the fix, you haven't had much luck so far.

Cheers dude, good to get your feedback on this one, I often look for a bit of inspiration in your engine build thread(s) and think to myself that the only man who has been more unlucky than me is you.

I think I will have a look at replacing the aos as well seen as I have the access at the moment.

It looks like she will probably be off of the road until next summer at the rate i'm getting through the work.

A little more spannering on the old girl today while I was waiting to take the cats to the vet and pick up the Mrs.

First thing I needed to do was get the oil cooler off so I can find out why it is leaking. So I did exactly that.

IMAG0610.jpg

It turns out that the rubber O-rings that were put in there weren't the same size as the new ones that I ordered. They were slightly smaller in diameter and slightly thinner. I expected this or for one to be severely pinched so ordered some new ones in a while back.

IMAG0608.jpg

While the cooler was out I gave it a quick clean:

IMAG0609.jpg

Swapped the o-rings out with a little rubber grease and put the oil cooler back in the car.

Next up I gave the throttle body a clean:

IMAG0606.jpg

IMAG0607.jpg

Almost as good as new...

Finally I started on removing the the header tank as it's full of oily gunk.

IMAG0611.jpg

The fuel filter is clamped to the header tank so need to remove the retaining clip, Should I replace the fuel filter while I am at it?

IMAG0612.jpg

The bottom hose on the header tank was being a nightmare as the clamp release was around the back:

IMAG0613.jpg

and just as I started making progress with it I was called into action and needed to go out so that's work on the car done for the day. Tomorrow I'll get that header tank out and give it a clean and see if that's enough to get at the AOS, if not I may have to think about removing the other intake.

Time to fix some of the paint....

I thought that I would update this thread again as the car is now extremely close to being on the road :D Since the last update I have fitted a new water pump, new low temp thermostat, new rads, new air con rads, desiccator and refurbished the wheels.

But this week I was working on the front bumper, I took it off the car, bought some touch up paint and proceeded to ruin it even more. I am not going to lie, I spent so much time working in the touch up that I burned through clear coat all over the place. I'ts the next bit that surprised me, I decided that I was going to rub the bumper down as the paint job wasn't great anyway and look for a body shop.

A few calls later I find a body shop 5 minutes around the corner, so glad I found this place as a few pictures over whatsapp, and a couple of phone calls and they asked me to drop the bumper in. It's a small place around the corner with just two blokes working. I couldn't quite believe my ears when the gents said they had a 4 weeks waiting list but didn't mind fitting in a cash job as I took the bumper off the car already.

I was even more surprised when he told me the price, If it needed primer then £90 and if not £60, and it would be ready by the weekend. This was on Tuesday afternoon. So I left the bumper there and worked the week, called the guy on Friday but couldn't get in to pick it up during working hours, but he said just call him 10 minutes before I wanted to pick it up and he would meet me to hand it over. So at 8pm last night I went down and picked it up, handed the fella £100 and a box of beer for meeting me out of hours. The result is much better than I expected, I am a very happy man indeed. Here are a few pictures :)

After I rubbed down the damage:

After:

We really are getting somewhere now, there isn't huge amounts left to do and hopefully we will be ready for the road by the 6th. Just in time for winter :roll:

That looks great, these back-street bodyshops do still exist and are doing great business. There is one literally in my car park at work (that is literally in the old sense before they changed it). He has done work on pretty much all of my cars and is absolutely top notch at a very good price. Best thing is that for a lot of work he can work on it during the day and I can drive the car home at night....

He hasn't worked on my Porsche yet, but has done my M3, which after he had done the work I machine polished the car and couldn't see where the work was done, he will be working on this again soon after a large stone chip, also done the works van, my wife's car numerous times (women drivers). The repair to the large stone chip indentation on the M3 is going to cost me about £110. Bargain.

If you can find them they can save you a fortune.

MC

MisterCorn said:
That looks great, these back-street bodyshops do still exist and are doing great business. There is one literally in my car park at work (that is literally in the old sense before they changed it). He has done work on pretty much all of my cars and is absolutely top notch at a very good price. Best thing is that for a lot of work he can work on it during the day and I can drive the car home at night....

He hasn't worked on my Porsche yet, but has done my M3, which after he had done the work I machine polished the car and couldn't see where the work was done, he will be working on this again soon after a large stone chip, also done the works van, my wife's car numerous times (women drivers). The repair to the large stone chip indentation on the M3 is going to cost me about £110. Bargain.

If you can find them they can save you a fortune.

MC

I was so impressed that I am going to take the car there for a couple of other little bits when its got it's MOT. I remember paying £200 for a front bumper years ago so thought that this was an absolute bargain and a very, very reasonable price. For anybody down in the south east (essex way) these guys are called two A's coachworks. Great guys to deal with, they couldn't be more helpful.

Just got in from more assembly, front end is almost back together. Tomorrow the car should be ready for it's MOT :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back