Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do your tips hang low.....??

Drencher

Hi,

My exhaust tips are a bit on the low side so I'm going to go ahead and replace the engine mounts, however, I'd really like to fit some RSS mounts from Design 911 but I'm also quite concerned about where these will leave the exhaust position relative to the bumper.

I think the rear end of these beauties is tidied up considerably with the exhaust tips positioned where they should be, nice and tight to the rear bumper and I know the only sure way to achieve this is with new standard mounts.

Ultimately my question is will the RSS mounts give as tight an appearance as the standard mounts? Also, if not, does it have to be genuine standard mounts or would the Febi mounts do?

Hope this question doesn't seem quite as ridiculous as I now think it does having seen it written down! :floor:

Porsche mounts will put the car back to how it was when new .. the harder RS type can cause more noise transmission into the car .. its louder basically but will give an even stiffer feeling when driving ... others need to comment on this .

Tail pipes can be adjusted but a new clamp is often req .

If the exhaust has not been worked on in many a year then new mounts and the tail pipes should still fit ok without adjustment needed .

Old clamps will need cutting off and replacing if not .

Thanks deMort :thumbs:

I've never been keen on using anything other than original parts on my cars unless its a bona fide upgrade.

I'm really keen on the RSS mounts but also think new originals would tighten everything up nicely.

Is it absolutely worth the expense of new genuine originals or are any of the aftermarket ones ie Febi worth installing?

I have recently replaced mine. OPC £315 a pair with 10% PCGB discount including new nuts - essential imo as old ones will be useless . Felt much improved - lower noise and harshness. well worth doing as cars get older.

I see many .. many cars with engine mounts bottoming out .. rare that a customer has them replaced though .

I can't really say what difference it makes to the handling as i only do a short road test ( 4 miles before and after ) .

Most people do say it makes a big improvement though .. Rss mounts .. a stiffer version of OEM .. i've been told you get more cabin noise though .. a solid mount will obviously do this .

Fitted some to a 993 years ago .. took them back off a few days later due to noise which the customer didn't want .. that's about my total experience of them .

I have no experience of Febi .. sorry .

Fitted Febi to mine roughly 6 months ago came in at roughly £230 the pair..
Back end definitely feels tighter plus tailpipes now sit spot on plus an easy job for diy rather than pay garage fees :thumb:

Thanks chaps.

Fairly sure I'm gonna go for standard mounts at the moment. Looks like OPC is the place to go especially at those prices but where you getting the Febi ones at that money? Seems like an awesome price.

Not new to throwing oodles of cash at car parts but still feeling my way around the Porsche world at the moment so any advice on best place to shop is greatly appreciated :thumbs:

Some items are always best to get OEM or Porsche items and its Always best to get a price for a part from an OPC first.

Window regs as an example .. i've fitted the cheaper ones and they are not that cheap compared to Porsche ones .. not as good either .

Places like Design 911 can often be more expensive .

Euro Car Parts is always a good place to start at , any local independent parts place as well ..CPA is one in my area .. assume it's everywhere .

Service items and you can usually get oem .. Mann for filters and Bosch for plugs .. i'm not a fan of NGK plugs these days .. i used to fit them all the time pre Porsche but Bosch is very good and normally oem.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back