Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Centre console lights

acme

Sao Paulo
Suggestions please chaps.

Centre console above the gear stick, the top row of lights doesn't work most of the time, and it's driving me potty!

All three come on and off during any journey, bottom row is absolutely fine. I've pulled it out and played around with it, I'm assuming dry solder? I don't recall this being talked about before. Any suggestions, please, it's been like it for years and I've got to sort it!

Cheers :thumb:

BergvillFX advertise an LED kit for the 964/993 centre console for the princely sum of $12.

I've bought other things from Bergvill and have been very happy with their service

Wasn't there a post about this a few months ago where someone had used model railway LED bulbs? I think you needed soldering skills but it may be worth a search on here.

That does sound like a dry joint somewhere in the board that holds the bulbs. Not sure there's an easy fix for that other than visually inspect and re-solder the bulb contacts. Bulbs flashing on and off clearly means that the bulbs work - I guess depending upon which bulb or bulbs are flashing, may give you a clue as to where on the board the issue may lie.

Thanks for the replies chaps, appreciated.

I've deliberately avoided LED's inside, not only for originality but preference too. However, unless I've come to the same conclusion as Stewart, that as the bulbs do work, albeit inconsistently, it must be a dry solder - the bulbs don't need replacing as such.

Occasionally I'll start a journey with all three on (rarely though) and I'll have anywhere between one and three working by the end - all without touching it!

Looks like I may have to remove it entirely. It does seem that the upper and lower parts which come out separately are on totally separate boards - the lower one is absolutely fine.

This is made worse by me always driving with my lights on these days!

If anyone else has any thoughts it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers
Gavin

hopeydaze said:
BergvillFX advertise an LED kit for the 964/993 centre console for the princely sum of $12.

I've bought other things from Bergvill and have been very happy with their service

Another vote for Bergvill, lights are also a little brighter than standard

Counter Of Beans said:
Wasn't there a post about this a few months ago where someone had used model railway LED bulbs? I think you needed soldering skills but it may be worth a search on here.

I did this. You can buy the leds with integrated resistors which is much eaiser soldering job. Cost = £4.80

6 x 3mm Diffused Green 12v LED With Integrated Resistor (216-103) = £2.40
6 x 3mm Diffused Red 12v dc LED With Integrated Resistor (216-104) = £2.40

https://www.railwayscenics.com/

Thanks for the replies gents, appreciated.

Looks like I'll have to ad soldering to my list of skills to acquire :thumb:

Cheers

I'm just going to bump this to see if there's any other thoughts.

Having had another look it seems to be the power lead which plugs into the back of the upper section three bulbs, not the actual bulbs themselves. Wiggling it seems to vary which ones work etc.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated :?:

Cheers

If it's the connection in the plug/sockets try bending the male connectors slightly so they make better contact in the female end. Also if any parts are corroded use some fine sandpaper to rub it off.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back