Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bikes V's 911's

ti_pin_man

Just thought I'd share something interesting, I have a 911 997 cabriolet variant and for ages have investigated how to transport my precious mountain bike out to the forests of fair England. There was no rack that could fit because of the rising spoiler, the 996 had a roof system but they are rarer than hens teeth and no guarantee it'd fit a 997. Then the tow bar mount was investigated.. And nobody did one, not that I wanted one, but if there had been the chance of a removable one and one that didn't involve getting the bumper cut I might have considered it...

Most people kept saying if you can afford a Porsche you can afford a second car to transport bikes and crap, pah, while true I have a second car 300 miles away to use when I fly to look after my daughter and buying a third car just ain't going to happen, soooo... I ended up finally looking for a way to squeeze my bike in the back seats. As any mountain biker will know the wheels come off quickly and easily and then the frame is much smaller. But also dirty and oily and damp with sharp edges.. No great for my nice black leather, sooo....

So I have finally bought a bag which I slide my bike into thats designed to take a bike frame, it keeps the oil and muck inside the bag and protects the leather, two wheel bags do the same and with a bit of practice they all fit neatly and cleanly in the back seats and the solution works a treat!

I thought I'd post this up for others looking for a way to transport their bikes and use their precious cars, worked for me!

Now, lastly a question, anybody have any other solutions I have missed?

Move house? :grin:

I've been living within easy cycling distance of the South Downs since 1989, and wouldn't have it any other way. :thumb:

Oh other than living in the Alps. :worship:

Fancy the Pyrenees more Than the alpes but sadly then the job would change which would mean the car might have to and maybe a couple of the bikes... Lol.

Please post details of the bag you have used please....

But surely you can only fit it into the car because it's a cabriolet? I can't see any way that I could get my racing bike into the back of my coupé even if I took both wheels off and turned the bars around.
Do you lower cab roof, pop bike into back seats and then raise the roof again?

Adam, yep I have so far dropped the roof and slot the bike in, I think you're right in that it would be trickier to do it in a tin top. I guess passenger seat forward as far as it go might just about get it in but it's bound to be tighter. I know the guys at Duffbag would probably let you have a bag on sale or return if it doesn't work when you get it... Anyway can't you get the porsche roof system for the hard top?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back