Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery Drain

Alex

Nordschleife
I've had a battery drain back in January and resolved what it was. Anyway, last week I was out on the juice all weekend and when Monday morning came, looked like my battery was out of juice too. Today I thought I'd just do a quick check to see if I had something draining it........and I did. My amp gizzmo was reading 0.6amps when the car was not alarmed and everything electric was off.

First port of call was to check the place I had an issue last time. Turns out that was the problem. Tilt sensor plug!! Whipped the plug off and it was all green and mouldy. Quick clean up and cleaned the socket up on the tilt sensor and hey presto - gizzmo now reading zero amps :)

All my bulkhead drains are clear and it's dry in there apart from the battery tray which has some water in it. Tilt sensor is right next to that so I can only assume it's attracting moisture and and the copper inside the plug is oxidising. Think I may drill some holes in the battery tray and also give the plug and socket a good dose of vaseline.

If anyone else is having a problem I suggest you check there 1st. Only takes 10 minutes.

Problem in question is the orange plaug seen in this photo:

post-4000-0-64942400-1333964123.jpg

These plugs corroding has been an issue for a long time , Porsche came up with a retrofit tilt sensor and wiring harness ..

We fit them under the passenger's seat .. if anyone sees a black box next to the alarm control unit then its a retrofit tilt sensor .

To be honest though most people just remove the sensor and siren and have it coded off .. there is a seperate horn the other side of the battery which also goes off so people rely on that .

I've not had a tilt sensor cause a discharge before though so that's interesting .. siren yes but never a tilt sensor so ill bear it in mind for the future :thumb:

Heads up for anyone doing an amp discharge test on these .. the lambda sensors do a burn off for about 40 mins after car has been started .. hence you will have a discharge of upto 1 amp for that time ..

If you want to cheat then pull and refit the dme fuse when doing the test .. it will stop the burn off .

Follow up:

So this morning I thought I'd have another look. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't other people with the same issue as it's clearly a design fault by Porsche. The plug and socket are a 6 pin type, but only 3 of the pins are in use. So there are 3 apertures in the plug open to the elements. The bulkhead is also reasonably open to the elements so it's quite easy for moisture to get in there. As with anything with holes in - once the moisture gets in, it's harder for it to get out.

So I've filled all the holes in with vaseline and will see how I go.

Photo of the plug so you can see what I'm on about (obviously taken from a different forum where the owner broke a couple of wires off):

image1501431565.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back