Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anybody used these guys (PCM/Amplifier repairs) ??

Wonder why he doesn't do that amp?!

Yep that's beach head

I dident ask why but suspect it's due to test equipment and availability of parts the Becker amp has a totally different connector to the Bose unit and i have been unable to find a bypass connector cable so if I do replace it I may need a whole new amp loom :eek:

Winny911 said:
Old thread but what was the outcome anyone used these guys? Prices have gone up a bit and they are still vague on total cost to fix just looking for confidence they are good

I've used them.
Service was great.
Amp is now working.

I have pics of my Cayman and my R32 in the exact same spot. Cycle there all the time too.

Odd, I thought it was only the Bose system that caused the wiring issues though? Am I reading this correctly, you don't have Bose?

Marty - No Bose this is my Becker amp attached

Teffers - Thanks for the recommendation on the uk guys if they fixed yours it's worth a try see if they can fix mine

Attachments

• 19130a90_202a_46c4_b1c8_7e624246d690_561.jpeg
    19130a90_202a_46c4_b1c8_7e624246d690_561.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2,705
PCM repairs are part of the Cartronics business I have used them several times over the years with no issues the last time was cartronics for a BMW audio issue which the sorted quickly and reasonably .

You just need to remember like many nerdy techy guys working in a unit with no interface with the public, most of them are seriously lacking any form of social skills , I am sure they didnt intend to be rude or abrupt it was probably something simple like the biscuit he just dunked had dropped into his tea that had upset him .
:thumb:

I recently took my bose amp and PCM 2.1 down to be diagnosed.

Within one day they had checked both units and said the amp was fine , but the PCM would cost approx £800 to repair and they would not be sure it would work due to other variables within the car.

I now have the PCM being looked at by another audio repair company who seem very confident it can repaired for a lot less (fingers crossed).

Attachments

• pcm_21_screen_118.jpg
    pcm_21_screen_118.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,053
Anybody used these guys (PCM/Amplifier

I used them a Few years ago to repair a pcm1 dim screen. Cost was around £400. I've had the car so long the same thing happened again, post lockdown prices have shot up and it cost around £700. Still a lot cheaper than the pccm and it's working fine now

I have 997 with PCM 2.1 with Bose. The head unit failed completely and I searched google for PCM repairs. The first company that came up was Cartronics also known as PCM repairs. The seem to have the monopoly on Google natural search, I can only assume they get most of the PCM business here in the UK.

I called to ask what the best thing for me to do was. I was told to send in my faulty head unit to have a £79 assessment to determine what was needed. Only then could they tell me how much it would cost to repair. I asked for a ball park figure and was sternly told there was no way he could give any idea of cost until he saw the unit.

Given the failures on these items are normally fairly common, the range of problems cant be large, I asked what an average price was to repair, again, I was told it doesn't work like that, no idea of price could be given unless he saw the item.

I asked what the best and worst case scenario was so that I could way up my options. Again, no help with that at all.

I asked what the average cost was of his last 10 repairs. Again no prices given and he came across as rude and arrogant.

So, I quickly decided that I would not be giving any business to them and investigated more online. I found some other forum posts where other people had the same experience with Cartronics, one person had a quote of £800 and decided to take the unit back and look for alternative solutions.

I assume that once he has the unit the customer has a higher chance of accepting his quote, whatever it is.

My PCM 2.1 has the part number 997.642.143.02 which is the PCM 2.1 with Bose. The identical unit for cars without Bose is 997.642.141.03

I read on another post that that cars that have Bose can use the 'non Bose' PCM 2.1 and it was plug and play with no coding needed. Apparently it doesn't work the other way around though...

I found a very nice PCM 2.1 'non Bose' on Ebay for £130. Plugged it in and it fired straight up and worked perfectly. The functions on the steering wheel all work too.

So for anyone that has a similar problem, I would say that Ebay might be a much better option than trying to get their unit repaired.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back