Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Annoying MOT Advisory

nigel99

Mexico City
My GT3 has been at the OPC for the past week having been recovered by Porsche Assist after a dead battery failing to take charge.

While it was there I asked them to add an MOT.

The MOT was completed today and has an advisory on "Undertrays fitted obscure views".

This annoyed me because I have 6 green stamps and now 1 amber.

To make it worse, when I explained my frustration to the service advisor he told me that "all Porsche cars will have this advisory" which is complete BS. This is my 3rd 911 and 6th Porsche in total!

They still have my car as fixing something under warranty so I'll get a chance to speak with them face to face.

Other than my severe OCD, it ultimately makes zero difference, am I over-reacting or right to be peed over this.

I've had this before on my 911, not all the time but definitely a couple.

With luck deMort will provide any correction to my thinking which is that individual MOT testers may just be covering their rear end as they can not check which they can not see, thinking brake and fuel lines as well as structural corrosion as might be possible on older cars.

I guess the other possible issue is that a vehicle could have sustained damage and had a poor quality repair hidden behind the undertrays, that when removed for a possible repair i.e. the day after the MOT, the poor quality repair was found and the customer demands an explanation as it passed it`s MOT yesterday...!

Two sides to every coin... :?:

nigel99 said:
My GT3 has been at the OPC for the past week having been recovered by Porsche Assist after a dead battery failing to take charge.

While it was there I asked them to add an MOT.

The MOT was completed today and has an advisory on "Undertrays fitted obscure views".

This annoyed me because I have 6 green stamps and now 1 amber.

To make it worse, when I explained my frustration to the service advisor he told me that "all Porsche cars will have this advisory" which is complete BS. This is my 3rd 911 and 6th Porsche in total!

They still have my car as fixing something under warranty so I'll get a chance to speak with them face to face.

Other than my severe OCD, it ultimately makes zero difference, am I over-reacting or right to be peed over this.

It is a bit annoying but shouldn't affect anything other than your OCD.

It's a regular thing that I've had a number of times on several cars. The wording can sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

The most comprehensive report mine ever had was "Under trays are fitted not allowing a full visual inspection to be carried out underneath".

It really doesn't matter. I've had it on my cars but not all the time.

Would not worry me when looking up a potential purchase.

It's a pass, so doesn't affect that at all. There are numerous things that get mentioned as advisories and this is just one. Stick in a child seat and they'll mention that too.

Don't see how that is an 'amber', it's not on the MOT as such.

I can beat the under tray advisory.

Had an MOT failure because the MOT station couldn't open the passenger door! Turned out that they had unlocked the driver side door with the key instead of the button, then the passenger door didn't open so they failed the car as they were unable to test it. Once they sorted that, it passed. That was so annoying.

In all, I don't think the undertray should be seen as an amber but I get it's annoying

Basically its an MOT tester covering his ass ..

Which is unfortunately what a lot of us have to do these days ... times have changed and we seem to have a blame culture these days which i'm happy to discuss if needed , and what i've seen has changed in 40 years , but i'd rather not lol .

See the pictures below .. these 997 pipes let go on a MOT Brake test .

They are completely covered by undertrays and would have passed an MOT as they couldn,t be seen .

996/986 and pipes in the same location are often similar and again i've seen them let go on an MOT test .

The tester advising this have probably been bitten before and as such are aware that Not reporting something can have consequences .

I understand the OCD thanks to this forum and indeed working for an Indy these days ( i didnt when at OPC ! ) So all i can say there is it means nothing to anyone else and isn't a black mark .. Advisories are merely to point out something to a customer ..

Once the MOT has been done i dont think it can then be altered with ref to advisories and im assuming the OPC didn't actually do the MOT .. a lot of them farm MOT,s out to a local station ...

Look at the certificate station to see if that's the case .

One last point if you wish to argue your case ..

Ask why there wasn't an advisory for unable to check battery is secure due to a cover fitted ..

Why wasn't the brake servo system not advised as being covered by a panel .

With ref to the unlocking .. sigh .. try to picture an oldish chap sitting with his head in his hands in disbelief .... That would be me right now !

Attachments

• pipes_3_881.jpg
    pipes_3_881.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 669
  • pipes_3_881.jpg
    pipes_3_881.jpg
  • pipes_3_881.jpg
    pipes_3_881.jpg
  • pipes_2_190.jpg
    pipes_2_190.jpg