Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice on buying a 911 996 C2/Upgrading from a 2004 986 S

Good to hear. I had a C4s then a 986 S then went to a 3.4 C2. I did enjoy the 986, the soft top was good to start with but the novelty wore off.

The space and usability of the 996 over the 986 is the biggest plus IMO.

coullstar said:
Good to hear. I had a C4s then a 986 S then went to a 3.4 C2. I did enjoy the 986, the soft top was good to start with but the novelty wore off.

The space and usability of the 996 over the 986 is the biggest plus IMO.

Yep, I was really surprised as to how much I coul get in the 996. Couple of suitcases in the frunk, bags on the back seats, then popped the seat backs down and piled some more bags on top. Loads more than i could have ever have dreamed of getting in the 986.

I also love the way it'll comfortably eat up the miles in 6th gear on motorways/dual carriageways, then at the drop of a hat I can drop to 4th and pop into idiot mode.

I went from a 987 Boxster to 996 with a small gap and do like the Coupe!

Curious to know what the problem is with your interference. That is the only thing I haven't been able to get to the bottom of. I run the air con on manual and it's not been warm enough so far since the head unit was changed and the air con fixed for this to be a big issue but don't like things not being right and the temps are increasing at the moment.

Unfortunately I don't know if this was a problem that existed pre continental or not.

Through a process of elimination I discovered it was the a/c. I initially thought it was alternator interference, which reminded me of fitting a car stereo to my Renault 5 back in 1990!!! I started by turning the a/c off and there was no interference. I then turned the heater back on with no a/c and there was a tiny bit of interference and then when I turn the a/c on the interference kicked in much louder when the fan speed is above 3 bars. I've noticed that it's actually worse with my phone plugged into the USB port as well. From looking on other forums it might be down to a poor earth connection somewhere, but this could be almost impossible to find. Some people have fixed the issue by fitting ferrite cores which help filter out interference.

Like you @TV8 I have no idea if this was an issue with the PCM1 that was previously fitted as I never had that on during test drives as I wanted to listen out for any rattles and creaks. Plus I was always going to dump the PCM1 as I'd heard they were next to useless anyway.

I must admit that driving in 25oC with the a/c on and the fans only on 2 bars was a bit warm, but windows down and sunroof open soon fixed that issue.

I did the same tests and checked the earths lead resistance to ground on the wiring loom and cleaned the main earth coonections and I am thinking it is the alternator. Higher fan means higher load, phone charging means higher load and that is the what is driving the interference.

Not sure if I checked the noise with the engine off. If there is interference with the engine off, then it must be the fan, if not, logic say something to do with moving bits. I Will try again in the next day or two

That's interesting as the garage fitted a new alternator before I purchased the car. I'll get them to double check it.

I checked my previous posts and I have a thread on this that I will up-date as I spoke with the supply people for my wiring loom convertor. Also, I am interested in what the garage say re alternator.

The guy is coming to my house on Wednesday to fix the issue so I'll let you know what he does to resolve it.

stupidget said:
The guy is coming to my house on Wednesday to fix the issue so I'll let you know what he does to resolve it.

Liking that he is confident of fixing it! Excellent news

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back