Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A far cry from the F1 W/Ch walkover.

T8

Super Moderator
I know there are a few fans of Moto GP on here but for those that aren't I thought it might be interesting to report that this years Moto GP (the 2 wheeled equivalent of F1) was more closely contested than ever before.

A few facts.

15 different riders made the podium in the 14 races.

9 different riders won a race.

The eventual winner, Joan Mir, only won one race. He came second three times and third three times.

OK, it's also a fact that the Moto GP equivalent of Lewis Hamilton, Marc Marquez, was injured in a crash at the first race and didn't contest the season but in his absence the most likely heirs to his throne weren't able to put together any consistency.

It's the norm' in bike racing for there to be a lot more overtakes in every race than you see in F1 but this year that was even more the case.

I've not followed MotoGP closely since the days of Barry Sheene and normally find myself doing other things at the same time as watching the race and/or recording it and F/Fing a lot but I have to say that this year it's been great fun.

Sadly, the downside next year (if I'm not mistaken) is that there will be no British riders on the grid.

I know next to zero about MotoGP but do like to see a bit of character in sport so I am aware of Valentino Rossi, whats happened to him, does he still compete?

I've been meaning to comment on here all year about it as there are a few fans on here.

It has been a cracking year hasn't it Terry, with any given race being completely different to the one before. Usually if someone had a great weekend you'd expect them to be at the pointy end the next race, yet it rarely worked out like that.
I guess that's one thing certain riders will be kicking themselves about. Nobody in particular managed to take advantage of Marc being out. In particular Fabio Quatararo. Everyone expected him to romp away once his main rival was out.

Great to see the small teams come of age though. Well, come of age as far as recent times go. Suzuki have created a great bike and Olivera was epic on the KTM last weekend.

DT4 , Rossi is still in it but has faded. To be fair the Yamahas have been hopeless this year. Way down on top end speed and no feeling in the chassis.
Most of the results have come when the riders have used the 2019 bike.
It was Rossi's last year on the Factory bike this year. He has to move over to give the youngsters a chance to progress. He had the choice of retirement or swapping with Fabio.
He chose the latter so he'll be on the Petronas Yamaha satellite team next year. It's a more relaxed affair than the factory team so could be a good way to see out his last season or two.
He still had the odd glimmer of hope on race day but I just think the youngsters are a bit hungrier, not to mention crazier. :grin: He was once though, remember.
Rossi now runs two teams in the lower classes, Moto2 and 3. He watches his youngsters race from the pit wall then dons his leathers and goes racing himself.
He'll probably set up a Moto GP team too when he stops riding. I think Suzuki's would work well for him.

Farewell to Dovi. Great rider and it's a real shame how things ended with Ducati.

As Terry says, no Brits now as Cal just retired. He had some good races but my god was he a crasher. On the occasions he did do well he was always a bit arrogant. He's apparently a great guy and well liked in the paddock but he always spoiled himself on tv. He's replacing Lorenzo as Yamaha's test rider for next year and he's already having a spat with him on Twitter. Although Lorenzo threw the first stone saying replacing him with Cal, was like swapping gold for bronze. :D

I'll just leave this picture here again. :wink:

Anyway I can't wait for next year. I hope Marc is back and fit, as even though I think he's a little sneak after destroying Rossi's bid for a tenth championship a few years ago, there's no disputing he's something special. I just hope some of the others can take the fight to him a bit more.

Moto GP makes F1 look like flower pressing but hey, we all like different things. :wink:

Can I just leave this pic here from my visit to Rossi's home town, Tavullia, Italy in 2019. Seems a world away now eh.

We also visited Marco Simoncelli's memorial/museum. Just over the hills from Rossi's in Coriano. They were good friends. RIP.

Sky Sports F1 have produced a 30 minute programme showing Lewis Hamilton and Valentino Rossi getting together and swapping machinery over a couple of days.

It's a fun watch and bound to be repeated loads of times.

It's called 'The Switch'.

Marky911 said:
I don't watch F1. Was it at Valencia and done a while ago?

This may be some of it. :thumb:

https://youtu.be/qoXTmVOEt0M

Yes, filmed during the 2019-2020 close season.

fyi Sky Sports F1 is viewable if you have the Sky HD package. Channel 406.

No Sky at all here Terry but thanks. :thumb:

Rossi, Uccio and Rossi's half brother Luca Marini didn't do too badly in last years Gulf 12 hour race. A class win and 3rd overall.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....gend-rossi-takes-gulf-12-hours-class-win/amp/

I remember he had a drive of a Ferrari F1 car about 10 years ago too. He couldn't go to F1 now obviously but it's good to see him and Hamilton swap.
Nice to see the respect they have for each other too. 8)

Edited to add a decent short vid covering the Gulf 12 hours.

https://youtu.be/jWdlnPHGL9U

T8 said:
Sky Sports F1 have produced a 30 minute programme showing Lewis Hamilton and Valentino Rossi getting together and swapping machinery over a couple of days.

It's a fun watch and bound to be repeated loads of times.

It's called 'The Switch'.

Yes, it was fun to watch but not wholly accurate. A bit of artistic license, but that's fine. Lewis Hamilton likes to play on bikes, he joined us at Almeria for some track time a couple of years back. And he was a miserable tw@t. Didn't speak to anyone. I know his spanner man and he hardly spoke to him either!

MotoGP :thumb:

MotoGP is miles better than F1 as a spectator sport. What they do on those bikes is absolutely ridiculous!!

Rossi has a bike in the premier class next year;

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/12/10/sky-racing-team-vr46-unveil-their-2021-liveries/359923

And as for Marquez, I wonder if he will be the same when he returns, his arm injury has not been a straight forward fix. He's an incredible talent, but on several occasions has pushed his luck and got away with it, often whilst other riders weren't so lucky! This year his luck ran out and he's paying for it.

Roll on next season :thumb:

jpsh120 said:
MotoGP is miles better than F1 as a spectator sport. What they do on those bikes is absolutely ridiculous!!

Rossi has a bike in the premier class next year;

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/12/10/sky-racing-team-vr46-unveil-their-2021-liveries/359923

And as for Marquez, I wonder if he will be the same when he returns, his arm injury has not been a straight forward fix. He's an incredible talent, but on several occasions has pushed his luck and got away with it, often whilst other riders weren't so lucky! This year his luck ran out and he's paying for it.

Roll on next season :thumb:

https://pecinogp.com/crossing-our-fingers-for-marc-marquez/

I was reading about Marc Marquez's arm injury this morning. It's looking a bit grim. He's about to undergo a 4th operation as thus far, there's been very limited success. I hope he makes a full recovery, the mad bastid....

Ouch! That's no straight forward recovery. Although we knew that from how long he's been out.

Fingers crossed he comes back strong and still fights like he did. He always seems like a likeable lad and he's an absolute talent on the bike.
I'll not forget that he messed around in a championship that wasn't his to win, back in 2015 the little sneak, but he is good to watch.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back