Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 turbo to 991.2 c2s

andy996c4s

Silverstone
Hi,

Has anyone experience of moving from a manual 997.1 turbo to 991.2 c2s that they would care to share?

Have owned my 2007 997T since 2013 and, with 46000 miles on the clock, it has now reached the point where it is in its last year of official Porsche warranty. I am planning on retiring in a couple of years (yes I am that old) and am thinking about changing to a 991.2 c2s to see me through the retirement years on the basis that it would be newer, more refined and the one I am considering has particularly low miles on it.

However, will I be disappointed by moving from the 997T? I must admit I find the grunt of the car tremendous, am getting tired of the manual gearbox (never thought I would say that but find the pdk on my GTS terrific) but also thinking that I am unlikely to lose much cash on the 997 unless something serious goes drastically wrong whereas a 991.2 c2s is likely to lose more in depreciation but, hopefully, is less likely to need major repairs. I would probably still put the Porsche warranty on it just in case.......

If anyone has any experience of such a move I would be interested in your views........

Thanks

Andy

andy996c4s said:
Hi,

Has anyone experience of moving from a manual 997.1 turbo to 991.2 c2s that they would care to share?

Have owned my 2007 997T since 2013 and, with 46000 miles on the clock, it has now reached the point where it is in its last year of official Porsche warranty. I am planning on retiring in a couple of years (yes I am that old) and am thinking about changing to a 991.2 c2s to see me through the retirement years on the basis that it would be newer, more refined and the one I am considering has particularly low miles on it.

However, will I be disappointed by moving from the 997T? I must admit I find the grunt of the car tremendous, am getting tired of the manual gearbox (never thought I would say that but find the pdk on my GTS terrific) but also thinking that I am unlikely to lose much cash on the 997 unless something serious goes drastically wrong whereas a 991.2 c2s is likely to lose more in depreciation but, hopefully, is less likely to need major repairs. I would probably still put the Porsche warranty on it just in case.......

If anyone has any experience of such a move I would be interested in your views........

Thanks

Andy
Could you stretch to a 991 Turbo PDK? That would give you the 'box that you seek and the grunt that you would otherwise miss.

I haven't made the change but have driven various 991s over the last few years. I established the mindset two years ago that when the deal was right I would move from my 997.1 Turbo to a 991.1S.

I know that I would miss the sheer shove that the turbo gives but after several years I find myself experiencing that rush less and less, especially in the UK.

A 991.2 is more than I would want to spend but having driven a few I'd be confident in saying that you wouldn't be disappointed. As a day-to-day car the Gen2 engine gives the torqueyness that you'll be used to and although the power delivery is a lot more linear you'd find yourself covering ground almost as quickly - especially with the excellent PDK box.

Depreciation would obviously be a bit of an issue as the 991 is still depreciating, albeit slowly whilst your 997T won't change that much from where it is now. Like me, if you want a newer car, that's just a fact of car ownership but it won't be too painful over time and at least the previous owner(s) will have borne the biggest brunt of it.

If you haven't done so already, you'd obviously need to drive one but I'd be surprised if you didn't go for it.

Good Luck :thumb:

I had a 997.1 Turbo/ manual . It was a very good car as you say.

I have no regrets moving to 991.1 C4. I like the AWD versions.
The technology etc are much better and lots of time left to extend the warranty as well.

If you have the funds, why don't you go for a 991.1 Turbo instead. Cost wise it will not be that far away from a Gen 2 C2S. I would recommend PDK to 7 speed manual.

I sold my 2007 997.1 Turbo Manual showing 43k miles last October and bought a 2018 991.2 GTS Manual.
The new car is light years ahead in quality, tech and handling.
The lag in the 997.1 does not exist in the 991.2. I honestly can't feel the difference in power and I'm so pleased I made the move. As for PDK vs. Manual, I owned a 981 Boxster S PDK and the gearbox was phenomenal, it really suited the car. In actual fact I attended a Porsche driving event and one of the instructors was one of the original test drivers for the model and he said PDK was best suited to the car.
I only get to drove my car five or so times a year so I went for a manual. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Scholester said:
andy996c4s said:
Hi,

Thanks

Andy
Could you stretch to a 991 Turbo PDK? That would give you the 'box that you seek and the grunt that you would otherwise miss.

^^^^ this :thumb:

I recently went from 997.2 turbo to 991.1 turbo S. The 991 C2 will feel fooked power wise. For sure I'd miss the grunt. You'll love the new cabin though.

Another peculiar thing that always strikes me is the front calliper. The turbo models have that huge wheel filler. When I look at Carrera's etc with the smaller callipers, they look totally wrong. Not that they are, I've just got used to the turbo set up.

Thanks to all for the constructive comments. Certainly some food for thought and I did find myself going straight to the OPC site to search for 991.1 turbos! However, I think I am looking for something a little more relaxed for my senile years and something less likely to be a drain on my pension. So I think it will be a .2 c2s or GTS with the potential for a Litchfield upgrade and forego the warranty if I do find the need for more oooooomph.

andy996c4s said:
Thanks to all for the constructive comments. Certainly some food for thought and I did find myself going straight to the OPC site to search for 991.1 turbos! However, I think I am looking for something a little more relaxed for my senile years and something less likely to be a drain on my pension. So I think it will be a .2 c2s or GTS with the potential for a Litchfield upgrade and forego the warranty if I do find the need for more oooooomph.

The Turbo will feel as relaxed as the slow car :lol: and we all know how quickly one gets used to the power of a new car.

Turbo all the way!

andy996c4s said:
Thanks to all for the constructive comments. Certainly some food for thought and I did find myself going straight to the OPC site to search for 991.1 turbos!

Of course you did. It's perfectly natural :) stop fighting it.... 8)

I think with your low mileage I'd be tempted to keep the 997.1 turbo if you don't mind the manual box too much but I can understand it becoming a chore if perhaps a struggle.

We still run a manual 997.1 turbo and 991.2 PDK. You'll miss the 997 but the 991 is another level of ease of use which you'll love. There's something very special about the 997.1 turbo in manual form. With the legend Hans Mezger sadly passing recently I can see nostalgia around all cars carrying his design engines. I'd be tempted to buy a Golf GTI with DGS for mundane stuff and keep the 997. Not many people know this but your current car has exact same engine as 997 GT2 RS as far as I'm aware. Only intake and VTGS different. ;)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_c7cd_925.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c7cd_925.jpeg
    949.2 KB · Views: 2,003
All good points too IMIA. And, as you say, the 997 is the prettier car...... it carries its weight well! Now looking at Golfs! I used to be decisive but I am not so sure now!

Race derived mezger that can still pass UK emissions tests today very special. Theres no right or wrong 991 amazing too and I love it too.

Impressive drag run. And an impressive 997.1T. Do you mind if I ask how much the upgrades have cost?

Sure its this 9e power kit who are based in Horley, Surrey close to Gatwick.

https://www.nineexcellence.com/porsche-upgrades/porsche-tuning/997g1-turbo-stage-3-9e28.html

9e also threw in a DSC box, GT2 rear anti roll bar, SSK, LWFW, clutch, 5mm spacers all round, and lowering springs for cost/free. 40,000 miles since installing power kit with no mechanical failures. The 991 turbo s the quicker car around a track though and its chassis another level of stability and comfort almost different class vehicle all together. You should definitely take for test drive if you want one lent to you by OPC let me know I can fix up but just call yourself and ask and they will give you extended loan for a few days.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back