Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 GT3 - Conspiracy!

Roro

Sebring
Are you all sitting comfortably?

I am, it's Friday morning and it's a slow day in the (home) office...

So, according to Henry Catchpole in his Evo article, there may (or may not) have been some number fudging going on in the ECOTY 2006, explaining why the Ferrari 599 won that year and not the 997.1 GT3:

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-g...se-of-the-missing-porsche-911-gt3-evo-archive

Shocking news

:grin:

Interestingly, I happened to listen to a podcast with Henry by Sam Moores, and he placed the 997.1 GT3 in his dream 5 car garage. Chris Harris tweeted a little while ago too that the 3.6 in the 997.1 GT3 was his favourite GT3 engine (I'm paraphrasing, can't remember the exact words)

Would be nice to see more love for this car (I would say that, obvs), the 996.1 & 2 and 997.2 usually seem to get all the glory :paperbag:

Get over it Roro, it did not win..... your car is rubbish :lol:

Pip

Roro said:
Are you all sitting comfortably?

I am, it's Friday morning and it's a slow day in the (home) office...

So, according to Henry Catchpole in his Evo article, there may (or may not) have been some number fudging going on in the ECOTY 2006, explaining why the Ferrari 599 won that year and not the 997.1 GT3:

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-g...se-of-the-missing-porsche-911-gt3-evo-archive

Shocking news

:grin:

Interestingly, I happened to listen to a podcast with Henry by Sam Moores, and he placed the 997.1 GT3 in his dream 5 car garage. I can't remember his exact words, but Chris Harris tweeted a little while ago too that the 3.6 in the 997.1 GT3 was his favourite GT3 engine (I'm paraphrasing, can't remember the exact words)

Would be nice to see more love for this car (I would say that, obvs), the 996.1 & 2 and 997.2 usually seem to get all the glory :paperbag:

I agree. A fabulous car the 997.1 GT3 Often overlooked.

I think the values of cars will always skew toward the rare and ultimate. That's nothing new - it's the same deal with the 996 GT3 and RS.

I have absolutely no doubt that (in my opinion) the last few hundred 4 litre 997.2 GT3 RS cars are the pinnacle.

However, the 3.8 997.2 GT3 RS is pretty damned close.

Both of these offer some pretty significant and useful specification upgrades over the 997.1 GT3; more power, wider track etc. etc.

However, looked at another way, all of these cars from 997.1 GT3, right through to 997.2 GT3 RS 4 litre, are sufficiently similar to share the same parts manual.

In essence, they are very similar cars. To the layman, the differences are almost arbitrary. Which means the 997.1 cars are very good value for money.

Nice one Rory :D - Sharkwerks also say its their fav incarnation :thumb:

As do we. So thats it. done. :grin:

God i love mine!

Diggermeister said:
I think the values of cars will always skew toward the rare and ultimate. That's nothing new - it's the same deal with the 996 GT3 and RS.

I have absolutely no doubt that (in my opinion) the last few hundred 4 litre 997.2 GT3 RS cars are the pinnacle.

However, the 3.8 997.2 GT3 RS is pretty damned close.

Both of these offer some pretty significant and useful specification upgrades over the 997.1 GT3; more power, wider track etc. etc.

However, looked at another way, all of these cars from 997.1 GT3, right through to 997.2 GT3 RS 4 litre, are sufficiently similar to share the same parts manual.

In essence, they are very similar cars. To the layman, the differences are almost arbitrary. Which means the 997.1 cars are very good value for money.

Agreed, and I think this is why the 997.1/2, RS and 4.0 will be closer grouped than they currently are in price in years to come.

Good read and interesting anecdote that.

The link leads to this, which is a good account of where it all started for these.

Fascinating that what's a no brainer car to develop and have in the range today was practically a stealth project back then. It's a good account even though Richard M gets the gear linkage facts a bit wrong :lol: https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-g...sche-911-gt3-driving-the-original-20-years-on

That was a good article. Yeah, Porsche was really stuffed for cash back then, massive contrast to today. I sometimes forget that Porsche barely had a pulse until the Cayenne came along, and the rest is history. I notice Aston should be on a similar trajectory with the DBX which is already 55% of their total sales

I agree with the comments around the similarity between the 996/7 models, the 997.1 is indeed very good value when you look at the others. It's time will come ... one day ...
:D

Roro said:
That was a good article. Yeah, Porsche was really stuffed for cash back then, massive contrast to today. I sometimes forget that Porsche barely had a pulse until the Cayenne came along, and the rest is history. I notice Aston should be on a similar trajectory with the DBX which is already 55% of their total sales

I agree with the comments around the similarity between the 996/7 models, the 997.1 is indeed very good value when you look at the others. It's time will come ... one day ...

55% of not a lot is less than not a lot. That DBX is a horror. Mind you so was the first Cayenne so maybe your right but I think AM have lost the plot.

I'm not sure if they ever 'had' the plot in the first place?! :grin: They're onto a winner so long as China and the US keep hoovering up SUVs

If I was doing a big obnoxious SUV though I'd go Bentayga all the way. On the basis that if I was going to indulge in an act of automotive foisgras, I'd want to do it properly, with as little taste and as much bling as possible

Senoj said:
Roro said:

55% of not a lot is less than not a lot. That DBX is a horror. Mind you so was the first Cayenne so maybe your right but I think AM have lost the plot.

Exactly what I posted on Twitter the other day when I saw the DBX press car.

https://twitter.com/chris_pointon/status/1395649678981619712?s=20

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back