Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Gen 1 Stereo Spec

M84

Hi guys. Just bought my 911. I'm still learning about them! My car is a convertible. There are no speakers in the doors. It has the door pockets. I see many others have speakers in the doors. Does this mean my car has the most basic spec stereo? The head unit has been replaced with a bluetooth one, but its a cheap one. The stereo is pretty tinny and crap. Do you think thats the lack of speakers or the crappy head unit? I want to know if its worth me upgrading the headunit or will the speakers always be the let down?
Cheers!

yes, standard speakers were either nokia or haes
but you'll have to also change the amp, as the original amp only works with the tiny speakers

With only the original dash speakers (and I guess the ones on the sides, behind front seats?) you'll only get so far with both the volume and quality of the sound, regardless of the radio/amp used.

Ok, thanks guys. Reckon I'll leave it as is for now. A possible future upgrade.

@GrafZero yes, there are speakers in the rear too. With wind noise (another issue I need to address) at speed the stereo is not great. But the engine sounds amazing!

Try as is - if the car is a toy then you might find you will enjoy listening to the exhaust more than the stereo. Especially if its had any exhaust updates. ;)

Reactions: M84
Ok, thanks guys. Reckon I'll leave it as is for now. A possible future upgrade.

@GrafZero yes, there are speakers in the rear too. With wind noise (another issue I need to address) at speed the stereo is not great. But the engine sounds amazing!
when you do get around it, replace all of the oem units and wiring, as well refreshing all of the sound insulation, you will transform your car (y)

Reactions: M84
Thanks! Yes I think it needs an ICE upgrade at some point. I'm surprised how poor it is for a £65k car even in 2001. But i know there were different levels to choose from.

Incidentally. I have now put the hardtop on for the first time. Massive difference in outside noise!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back