Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 c2 - Silencer-Sports-VALVETRONIC-DesignTek

Milltek Mufflers arrived yesterday and I attempted to install them myself, oh boy was that a big mistake. Fitment is just awful, nothing lines up, I battled for hours last night.

Finally manged to only just bolt it all up, one muffler was hard up against the inside of the side of the bumper and the tips were touching the top of the bumper, they were also not coming out far enough.
Not enough to no adjustments, this is very strange as the Topgear ones fitted perfectly.

Sorry about the rant but this is just not good enough. On the plus side they do sound good.

I'm taking into an exhaust shop on Monday to see what they can do.

Has anyone else had fitment issues?

Sorry to hear of your struggles / frustration. I removed the rear bumper / PU and heat shields before removing my OEM silencers. The Milltek silencers then went on without any issue. When I refitted the heat shields and rear bumper / PU I noticed that the exhaust tips needed alignment - up / down / left / right (just swivel the tips) but also fore / aft where I expect you may be having issue. To improve the fore / aft positioning, I reached up and loosened the three nuts securing the silencer support brackets (between the silencers and the motor), and also the clamps where the silencers connect to the cats, and was able to get some fore / aft adjustment. Then tightened these nuts and clamps back up and went for a test drive.

Hope this helps! Good to hear that you are happy with the sound. :thumb:

Sorry to hear of your woes, no issues when I fitted mine, glad your liking the sound though :thumb:

Attachments

• 20200713_075924_816x612_881.jpg
    20200713_075924_816x612_881.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 2,583
GBinSWE said:
Sorry to hear of your struggles / frustration. I removed the rear bumper / PU and heat shields before removing my OEM silencers. The Milltek silencers then went on without any issue. When I refitted the heat shields and rear bumper / PU I noticed that the exhaust tips needed alignment - up / down / left / right (just swivel the tips) but also fore / aft where I expect you may be having issue. To improve the fore / aft positioning, I reached up and loosened the three nuts securing the silencer support brackets (between the silencers and the motor), and also the clamps where the silencers connect to the cats, and was able to get some fore / aft adjustment. Then tightened these nuts and clamps back up and went for a test drive.

Thanks for the reply, l didnt remove the bumper, l'll need to research how to do this. For some reason the tips have spot welds, so adjustments not possible. The Topgear silencers were installed
withoutt bumper removal, all fitted up perfectly.

jezgreen911 said:
Sorry to hear of your woes, no issues when I fitted mine, glad your liking the sound though :thumb:

That's the exact same set up as mine including the X-pipe. Did you remove the bumper to do this?

james88 said:
jezgreen911 said:

That's the exact same set up as mine including the X-pipe. Did you remove the bumper to do this?

Yes, I was fitting the full system, bumper and heatshields removed.for easier access.

jezgreen911 said:
james88 said:
jezgreen911 said:

Yes, I was fitting the full system, bumper and heatshields removed.for easier access.

Thanks :thumbs: just watched a youtube vid on removal, seems reasonably straight forward, I'll give it a crack tonight.

A little too quiet below 4k revs but even here sounds more like a Porsche flat 6 and more refined, once above 5k revs it sounds fantastic.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated :thumbs:

GBinSWE said:

Followed your procedure instructions, removed bumper and heat shields, loosened every bolt. Managed to push the silencer pipe in, only just got it, very fine line angle to get it in after trying for about 30 min of maneuvering.

I had to ask my wife to hold it in with force while I bolted it in as it just kept springing back out.

Tips are all lined up.

EDIT; Found the culprit, loose nut on exhaust tip that was causing rattle sound, all good now

And the good news is, I'm extremely happy with the sound of these silencers, nice in lower revs and really comes alive and screams around 4k RPM and above... love it!! :grin: :thumbs:

Just a follow up on impressions after about 700km of spirited driving.
It's definitely opened up more with more sound volume and more crackles and pops coming off the accelerator from mid to high revs.

I also noticed considerably more HP, especially all the way to the top end where it was previously lacking with the Top Gear silencers. It felt like the TG silencers were suffocating the the power.

A friend that's driven my GT4 said the 996 does have more HP now than before.

Extremely happy with the Millteks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back