Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 cabin blower replacement

A993LAD

Hockenheim
Hi folks my 993 is in the garage for a a service and a suspension refresh.

The Mechanic has just called me to say that the right hand side cabin blower is seized. To be honest I'm not surprised because it's been a bit noisy in the 7 years I have owned the car.

Apparently the list price for these fans is around £500 which is is more than I fancy paying. But I've just found a reconditioned second-hand one online foe £130 so I've ordered it and it has been dispatched to me.

I remember looking into this some years ago and the instructions for replacing the fan sounded like a bit of a nightmare. Has anybody done this before and if so I would welcome any tips for or replacing this.

Cheers

I had the pleasure of replacing the a/c evaporator on one of these last week .. NOT 5 mins of fun .. try 11 hours of at times struggling ..

Full fuel tank didn't help as it has to be drained before it's removed .

I undid the fan motor screws to separate the unit halfs but i must admit i didn't actually remove the fans so i've dug out the instructions for this job which are below .

You have to remove the bulkhead panel .. you will need 2 people for this .. the fuse board has to be lifted up and held over the wing to juggle this panel out of the way .. it's not the easiest job i've done but 2 people can do it .. rubber seal will fall out so refit it when refitting .

Pulling the fuel tank forward makes this a bit easier to refit .. bit of a pig otherwise .

Special tools to remove the fan and motor . ..

The fan on these are often very tight anyways and can break on removal .. i've tried on motors removed from the car .. 2 out of 4 fans broke ... if you have a complete motor with fan then that's fine .

As per the instructions but there are x3 7mm bolts on the n/s/f that also need removing to get the bulkhead out .

Attachments

• fan_2_1_159.jpg
    fan_2_1_159.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 1,723
  • fan_1_1_440.jpg
    fan_1_1_440.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 1,723
Brilliant thanks much appreciated this is just what I need.

I have bought a fan and motor combined but I'm definitely NOT looking forward to getting started on this job.

Just spotted that the instructions refer to using "special tool 9512" which looks like it's for separating the fan from the motor? If I've got a complete replacement do I still need the special tool to get the old unit out?

Can answer my own question now........

With the Torx screws removed you can remove the fan and motor from the housing. Porsche makes an expensive tool to do this but you can easily do it with a long flathead screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver into the slot on the top of the fan until the plastic clip that holds in in place releases and gently pull the top of the fan forward, then without letting the top of the motors clips re-engage do the same on the bottom clip (red arrows).

Found great instructions here for anyone else that needs to do this job........

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...t/59-ELEC-Front_Blower_Motors_Replacement.htm

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back