Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 C4 Potential Purchase

craigt

Hi all,

This is my first post here.....I've been on the Boxa.net forums the past couple of years but the Boxsters weren't doing it for me.

I've always wanted a 911 since i was very young ( i remember watching a terrible Australian film called "Freedom" featuring a lovely black 911 (not sure which one though) and now is the time!!

I'm looking for a project and may have found one very close to home. It's a 1989 (G) 964 C4 coupe in Silver with intact white or cream leather. Mileage is around 96000 and believed to be correct.

Can anyone give a VERY rough estimate of it's value.

I realise this is actually an impossible ask as there are so many factors and you can't see the car.

The car has sat outside for at least 5 years without moving. It appears to be complete and in fairly good condition but does not run. It may run with a little work but I'm assuming that it does not run. I've not checked thoroughly for rot or filler yet and even although galvanized there will be rot.

It will need all rubber suspension items replaced obviously, shocks, rubber hoses and all brake items replaced. This will just be the beginning of the list.

I've restored British cars before from the 60's and 70's but never a Porsche. I know that when i start digging and stripping the car the list of parts required will grow very quickly.

The owner has suggested a value of £9000 which seems very high all things considered.

It's a big ask BUT, can anyone give ball park figures. For example, a non runner which is complete but requires extensive work = £5-6000.
A running car which requires extensive work = £7-9000??

I'm exposing myself to ridicule here asking the "how long is a piece of string" question, but please go easy - I'm new here!!

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

:worship:

if the engine needs a lot of work it could easily cost £10k, possibly the same for the bodywork, then you have the suspension and transmission. I would pay somebody to give it a VERY thorough inspection before agreeing on a price.

MC

Based on worse case scenario I'd start at £5k given that you can probably realise this from parts alone should it be an economic repair.

Do your costings - rot repair, panels, respray, new suspension, brakes, all rubberware (rubber aint cheap on these). You are now close to £10k before you factor in the engine which could cripple you if it needs top end rebuild and other jobs etc. This could add £5k - £7k

These are worst case figures and give you leaway for anything untoward.

So all in it could stand you £20k. But value wise it could be worth £25k-£30k for something fully sorted. Downside will be lack of history so a full photo rebuild will be needed.

Putting so much dough into it, I'd be tempted to backdate rather than restore.

Thanks to you both for the quick replies.

Zingari, when you say backdate rather than restore, do you mean just do the basics required to enjoy and use the car instead of a full blown restoration?

Have you viewed this car? Why does the engine not run? Does it have a hole in the crankcase? Any rust? Is the interior dry and in good condition? Really its impossible to value with so little info so people here will rightly urge caution as they know the cost of renovation and Porsche parts. Be careful and have the car inspected by somebody who knows these cars....and you may have a bargain?! Good luck

I've only had a brief look at the car and a quick chat with the owner. I'm going to try to go back on Monday for a good look this time.
The car has been sitting for at least 5 years, the owner says the engine is fine but who knows. I wouldn't be happy chucking a battery and fuel at it and spinning it over as it may wreck itself - safest (i think) to assume it does not run until purchase then get it home and investigate.
I know i'm asking the impossible and appreciate the responses I've had which are based on experience.
If i buy it with my heart - it's financial suicide, if i buy it with my head, it may just work out.
Will try to take some pics on Monday.........

I'll bet the owner is right about the engine being fine even though it's been sitting. New fuel, new oil, possibly new plugs, crank it over a few times with the DME relay removed to get oil pressure and I'll guess it will fire right up. If there aren't any huge rot issues, I think the owner has it priced about right. You might then have to spend 5 to 10 K on it but all that money will add to the value. In nice condition it's a £20K car.

craigt said:
Thanks to you both for the quick replies.

Zingari, when you say backdate rather than restore, do you mean just do the basics required to enjoy and use the car instead of a full blown restoration?

I meant convert to a 70s longhood like the cars Paul Stephens sells. Wont be cheap though.

Re-reading your first post £9k would be about right in todays market if the engine spins up OK. For the right money I'd take a punt.

Has the car been outside exposed to the elements or covered up? Take a look at Baldy's thread The Money Pit for some inspiration. :thumb:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=89716

I don't think you can go wrong at that price.

If you don't have it, I will.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back