Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2004 cab coolant leak problem

aaronbailey

Hi,

I noticed a small deposit on the garage floor at about the position of the front of the gearbox and towards the nearside, seemed to be like a light oil!!

I have now put it on stands and I can see a drop of liquid on an aluminium pipe which comes from the top of the coolant header tank and which eventually disappears forwards. Pipe dia. approx 1/2 inch presumably a vent pipe?

Can only be a coolant leak but very minor at this stage. No obvious damage to the pipe but it must be pinholed somewhere.

I intend to pressurise the system to 20 psi to see if I can spot the source and as it looks like a very awkward job to replace the entire aluminium section, I was considering replacing only the leaking piece with some hose and clips.

Has anyone replaced this pipe in situ?

Best regards.

I had this problem recently, also a 2004 cab by coincidence?
Replacing the entire pipe looks like a complete PITA and the most likely place for a hole is at the metal clip on the vertical section.
I cut out a section from above the clip on the vertical piece to an area on the flat where I could get a straight section and then inserted a piece of appropriate hose. I cut the piece out with a small tube cutter and after cleaning up the ends I used a smear of Loctite sealant on the pipe ends before clamping up with stainless hose clips. No problems so far after approx 1k miles.

To replace that pipe is an engine out job .. there is a metal bracket that locates it halfway up on the chassis .. steel and ally .. sigh .. common for them to corrode at that point .

I've only ever replaced these pipes .. if a cut and join can be done as per ian_alex post then it will save you a fortune ..

Manual engine R&R is 8 hours labour .. Tip and closer to 13 ... plus pipe replacement .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shofwan_khilmi
Back